Need help on a 99 Mitsu Eclipse

Guest 99Eclipse

Guest 99Eclipse

Hello. Let me first introduce myself. My name is Tim and I'm trying to learn the trade here. I've been reading on here for a couple months but this is my first time post. I'm trying to learn on my very own car for hopes to possibly turn this into a side business. I have a '99 Mitsubishi Eclipse. Yes, it has the nice compound curve hatchback. I have only the back glass to do. The other windows turned out beautiful thanks to this forum. I'm using 20" wide professional grade film so I'm gonna do it in 2 pieces. Last night was playing with some old cheap over the counter stuff so I didn't have to waste my good film. I was doing very good and was actually learning how to read the fim. I made my horizontal line with the squeegee but here is where I was landing in trouble. On each side of the horizontal I was getting 45* fingers, probably more than 45*. I tried to work them but it just messed up and ended up creasing badly. Because of the compound curves is why I get the 45's on each side. What should I do? Should I manually take my hands and push the film towards the center bunching it up to create more fingers and force the 45's out? BTW- I was using a wet shrink because I'm new. I believe that if I can just get those 45's out I'll be home free and proud.

Thanks for your help...

Guest ninjatinter

Wow my friend, you realy picked a doozy for your first job :shoot1 to learn how to heat shrink will not come easy. I don't quite understand what you mean about 45s ????? I would do a search on heat shrinking. alot of tinters have put some realy well written posts on different methods of shrinking. you realy won't get the knack for it till you've done a few, atleast. to bad you don't have a new mustang or something :woowoo good luck!!! :redturbo

Guest 99Eclipse

Hi Ninjatinter- thanks for the reply. Well I want to work on my own vehicles before I tamper with anyone elses. What I mean by 45's, is the finger angles. Instead of straight up and down with the grain or parallel with the car, the 2 outside ones are at an angle, the kinda point to the sides of the car. I did really good at the center and just to the left and right of the center with the fingers. It's just that dam outside edge. I guess would you maybe recommend me doing this in maybe 3 or 4 strips and seam it at the defrosters, being that I'm new to it? I'd like to do it in 2 strips but maybe 3 strips at about 13" each would be easier for me.

Thanks...

Wow my friend, you realy picked a doozy for your first job :shoot1 to learn how to heat shrink will not come easy. I don't quite understand what you mean about 45s ????? I would do a search on heat shrinking. alot of tinters have put some realy well written posts on different methods of shrinking. you realy won't get the knack for it till you've done a few, atleast. to bad you don't have a new mustang or something :woowoo  good luck!!! :redturbo

[*]285984

Guest ninjatinter

I would seam it in two peices, personaly. You should be able to manipulate the side fingers to vertical, then shink, each peice. :redturbo

Guest 99Eclipse

Thanks... I'm gonna give it a whirl tonight. The cheap stuff I was using as a garbage test was some old Trimbrite stuff I had. It's thicker than my professional tint therefore probably making it harder to work with anyways. Trimbrite might not even be meant for heat shrinking anyway.

Thanks again.

Guest whale hung
Thanks...  I'm gonna give it a whirl tonight.  The cheap stuff I was using as a garbage test was some old Trimbrite stuff I had.  It's thicker than my professional tint therefore probably making it harder to work with anyways.  Trimbrite might not even be meant for heat shrinking anyway.

Thanks again.

[*]286013

use packing tape on your sides. and do it dry.this is how I normaly teach.make sure you tape one side all the way. then pull across from the other side and then tape that one that will have that 45% you are talking about out of you way,then take your time and use your heat gun on low being your first time.oh yea break out the good stuff even a good tinter can have probs on that one with cheap film.good luck man!!you can do it ' just take your time! :redturbo

Guest 99Eclipse

Whale hung-

Thanks for your professional input. I was wondering about taping it I just never read anything about using tape. Yeah I noticed when you shrink the bottom and top that it would draw in the sides and just make the so called 45% worse. I honestly think I can do this but if I can't, I shouldn't get too disgusted being that it's a tough one.

So I guess what I'll do is

Lay it out

Tape one side and then pull it somewhat tight on the other side and tape it.

That should force the fingers to be vertical

You say to do it dry. Do you mean dry period nothing, or with baby powder, mdogs dry soap method??

Thanks buddy...

Guest whale hung
Thanks...  I'm gonna give it a whirl tonight.  The cheap stuff I was using as a garbage test was some old Trimbrite stuff I had.  It's thicker than my professional tint therefore probably making it harder to work with anyways.  Trimbrite might not even be meant for heat shrinking anyway.

Thanks again.

[*]286013

well I use baby it is what I am use to.for you that is what I think will work for you.also make sure you toke 1 p of paper towel fold it 2 times and use that to smooth out your film as you shrink.make sure that you wipe up and not side ways.that way you dont end up with a but load of film to shrink at the top corners just as you think you are almost done!!!just take your time. on 1 to 10 that glass is a 7.

Archived