1996 BMW 328i

Guest Spartan0714

Guest Spartan0714

Hello, I have a 96 328i that has extreamly bad bubbled tint on the rear window, I purchesed the vehicle out of state and registered it for my state. Never less cops pull me over says tint is illegal, so I must replace it... Now the tint shops said they can easily do the side windows but the rear window is totally messed up baddly, hudge bubbles and lots of them. You bearly tuch the tint and it flakes off... Anything I can do that wont cost me a arm and a leg?

I've run across this problem, a number of times. I found the best way to besides using a razor blade is to sweat the film off take a black trash bag. Cut it open late on the back window, roughly trim out the size of the glass. Fill a spray bottle with straight ammonia soaked the film as much as possible lay out bag against the entire back window. You need to hold your breath when spraying ammonia or have blue mask put the car in the sun Wait for the window to get hot. About 20 minutes then try to peel up the top corner and pulled very slowly. Hopefully the ammonia soaked through and loosen the glue enough if not, and it is coming off in small pieces. You'll need to use a plastic scraper. Sometimes a hard card will work it takes a little time, but you are trying to save your defroster lines. If you can get most of the tint off, but there is still glue on the window soaked that with more ammonia and cover with bag wait about five minutes then you will want to use some superfine steel wool and a spray bottle with soapy water. This also takes time. Just keep rubbing and spraying until you remove all the glue good luck

Guest goldtooth
I've run across this problem, a number of times. I found the best way to besides using a razor blade is to sweat the film off take a black trash bag. Cut it open late on the back window, roughly trim out the size of the glass. Fill a spray bottle with straight ammonia soaked the film as much as possible lay out bag against the entire back window. You need to hold your breath when spraying ammonia or have blue mask put the car in the sun Wait for the window to get hot. About 20 minutes then try to peel up the top corner and pulled very slowly. Hopefully the ammonia soaked through and loosen the glue enough if not, and it is coming off in small pieces. You'll need to use a plastic scraper. Sometimes a hard card will work it takes a little time, but you are trying to save your defroster lines. If you can get most of the tint off, but there is still glue on the window soaked that with more ammonia and cover with bag wait about five minutes then you will want to use some superfine steel wool and a spray bottle with soapy water. This also takes time. Just keep rubbing and spraying until you remove all the glue good luck

:? if when you get the tint of,glue stays, spray the window with sd20 and scrape with plastic razor..worked for me,saved the defrost.. :lol2

Archived