07 pontiac g6

tint_audiopros

hey all, Tinted a g6 (4dr) today. I left the dang ignition on & the battery died, no big deal hooked up the charger & slowy charged the battery back up before custy showed up. They came picked up the vehicle & 20 minutes later they were back saying my radio isn't working I told them the battery was getting low so we hooked up the charger to keep it charged up so I was thinking it needed a code or something but that wasn't it. The radio buttons were no longer working but the steering wheel controls were ! The only buttons on the radio that worked were the power button, when you tried to change the source to cd it flashed "cd changer error" it would not even eject the cd or nothing ? :rollin . Anyone had a similar problem on a pontiac radio w/ steering controls ?

Sometimes a week battery will cause electronics to do funny things. Make sure the battery is putting out a full charge. Also check the fuses just to be sure that the steering wheel fuse and the radio aren't different. Hopefully that will help you but.........

Bad news is if you didnt disconnect the battery to charge it I have heard of burning up electronics but hopefully that is not the case.

Good Luck though and hope for the best :rollin

Sometimes a week battery will cause electronics to do funny things. Make sure the battery is putting out a full charge. Also check the fuses just to be sure that the steering wheel fuse and the radio aren't different. Hopefully that will help you but.........

Bad news is if you didnt disconnect the battery to charge it I have heard of burning up electronics but hopefully that is not the case.

Good Luck though and hope for the best :rollin

the radio lights up & works just the "radio" controls aren't working. If a fuse was blown my guess would be no power to the radio at all. She pointed out the volume knob & the button for bass,treble,fade, & balance wasn't working at all also wouldn't switch to cd changer would only display cd changer error & its a 6 disc indash factory radio.

Guest darkdan

maybe the anti-theft kicked in?

This is why I put the battery charger on the second they get in the shop (because I take 3+ hours to tint a car).

the radio lights up & works just the "radio" controls aren't working. If a fuse was blown my guess would be no power to the radio at all. She pointed out the volume knob & the button for bass,treble,fade, & balance wasn't working at all also wouldn't switch to cd changer would only display cd changer error & its a 6 disc indash factory radio.

I would assume the same about the fuses but the way things are today with different cars you never know there may be a fuse for power and steering wheel controls and seprate fuse for the dash controls :rollin and some stereos have their own fuse in the back of the radio if I am not mistaken but I am a tinter not a stereo guy so dont put too much into what I am saying. I would try all avenues but I bet the battery is not putting out a full charge.

There will be someone respond with more knowledge than me that can probably help you more than I can hopefully

maybe the anti-theft kicked in?

This is why I put the battery charger on the second they get in the shop (because I take 3+ hours to tint a car).

yes I was thinking anti-theft, im glad you said that now I re-call. The vehicle was dropped off & I went to pull it in the shop. unlocked the door with the key & the horn alarm went off the only way I could shut it off was to put the key in the ignition I also tried putting back in the doors keyhole locking & unlocking but that didn't do anything. I wonder if it triggered anti-theft but the car started right up :rollin

I would assume the same about the fuses but the way things are today with different cars you never know there may be a fuse for power and steering wheel controls and seprate fuse for the dash controls :lol2 and some stereos have their own fuse in the back of the radio if I am not mistaken but I am a tinter not a stereo guy so dont put too much into what I am saying. I would try all avenues but I bet the battery is not putting out a full charge.

There will be someone respond with more knowledge than me that can probably help you more than I can hopefully

thanks db :rollin

"new rule of thumb :rollin "

"slow charge every whole car job

before starting the job-dont have

to worry about 12v problems" :lol2:lol2:lol2

hard to "slow charge" when you've got 3 cars at a time in the shop, usually the only ones I slow charge are the 90 cadillacs with 12 interior lights that won't turn off. We only have 1 nice battery charger. Most newer vehicle if you trick the doors the lights shut off but I didn't do this one & left the dang ignition on while I was working on another vehicle :)

"new rule of thumb :rollin "

"slow charge every whole car job

before starting the job-dont have

to worry about 12v problems" :lol2:lol2:)

hard to "slow charge" when you've got 3 cars at a time in the shop, usually the only ones I slow charge are the 90 cadillacs with 12 interior lights that won't turn off. We only have 1 nice battery charger. Most newer vehicle if you trick the doors the lights shut off but I didn't do this one & left the dang ignition on while I was working on another vehicle :spit

well I'm saying "slow" so u dont fast charge and overheat batteries-possible explosion! :duck

maybe invest in more chargers :lol2 ,and work on better "procedures" when alternating between cars :hmmm

Archived