That's right small town Minnesota doesn't mess around

Guest darkdan

Guest darkdan

Our tint law doesn't allow stickers on your vehicle windows.

So teen charged $512 (four tickets x $128) for violating the glazed window statute (our tint law).

Src: http://www.owatonna.com/news.php?viewStory=32237

OWATONNA — An Owatonna teen has put the Ron Paul Revolution on hold and has agreed to pay more than $500 in fines for having a glazed window.

Cody Hauer, 19, was pulled over and cited four times in one week in early February by the Owatonna Police Department for having a “Ron Paul Revolution” window decal on the rear window of his Buick Park Avenue. Each fine carries a penalty of $128.

Paul was a Republican presidential candidate earlier this year.

On Monday, Hauer said he is now completing a payment schedule of $100 per month for the next six months to pay off those fines, along with an additional fine for littering. He is home on leave from the National Guard and is scheduled to return Friday.

“I still wanted to fight it, but I didn’t have the time to do it,” he said. “I took the time for what it was worth and decided to spend it with friends and family.”

Police say Hauer broke the law for having a glazed window and an obstructed view.

According to Minnesota law, it is !llegal for a person to operate a motor vehicle on any street or highway if any side window or rear window is composed of or treated with material obstructing the driver’s view.

Hauer initially challenged the constitutionality of the laws and claimed police violated his First Amendment right to free speech. He also said in February that the Owatonna Police Department gave him a “DWR — driving while Republican.”

Police, meanwhile, disputed that claim and said Hauer violated the law. He removed the 13-by-40-inch window decal following his fourth citation.

Hauer pleaded not guilty in March and was scheduled to go to trial in July. The case was postponed at the time because Assistant Steele County Attorney Dawn Johnson was prosecuting a domestic assault trial that day.

Then in October, Hauer asked his case be postponed after he failed to file necessary court documents. He was to appear in court today, according to court documents, but he quietly settled the case on Dec. 23.

Tint law: https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=169.71

Guest thatsnappyguy

ok, so was the sticker covering the entire window from top to bottom or something? this is so crazy. if a cop pulled my over for a bumper sticker on my window, I would glaze his front window with something of my own.

Archived