Wrapping @ SEMA

Well i will start off by saying i am new to wrapping, having only played with pieces of film for fun, not actually wrapped a car, so impressive skills to the rest of you and i hope to be at that level some day.

In my current state i just have experience in installing PPF and some vinyl stockers/decals, etc

i also work with Oracal 8300 series film for tinting tails, etc. So i do know my way around a hard card and heatgun

I attended SEMA this year and have to say WOW, i feel the whole vehicle color change process is really beginning to pickup speed! and i hope i can be a part of it.

Avery,3M,Hexis, etc all had vehicles being wrapped in their booths and by phenomenal installers nonetheless.

Since i am new to this i took in quite allot(i was unaware Hexis even existed)

there were 2-3 main things that caught my eye apart from the rest.

Avery

1. They are releasing a new chrome wrapping vinyl(that includes the usual wrapping film properties such as easy apply,etc)

2. The installer used a small blue tape looking like pin striping tape in order to lay down a design on a hood and then "cuts" it with a Kevlar string embedded in the tape, does someone have a part no. for this stuff? or know what i am talking about?

Hexis

1. I got to personally meet Oliver who i have to say is astounding at what he does, i feel he is really pushing the envelope of the industry. I chatted with him for awhile about the HEXIS films he was using and some of his unique tools/techniques.

one of them being this little beauty.

20111107150513.jpg

20111107150540.jpg

Not sure if any of you have seen something like this, but according to him, he invented it and there is very few of these in the world(like less than 20)

It has taken him 2 years to design one that has the right materials to fit well, doesn't make you sweat and also allows the tool holders to "stay tight"

It has enough room for a marker,4 other tools of your choice.

20111107150703.jpg

I was ecstatic when i seen him using this and how comfortable he became with it, it may look like it will bother your arm, but it wont, trust me.

He said he had no intention of selling them initially but i eventually got him to let one go to me for what i consider a decent price ($80USD)

He stated they will not be available retail for another year or so as he is working out a retail contract with HEXIS.

He also used 3 very large magnets to hold up the film on the car while starting installing, i think these are pretty common in the industry but they did seem larger and stronger than the usual ones.

and last but not least he was using what he called a "proto type" magnetic hard card, which also blew my mind, essentially it was a black hard card with spots molded in the center to slide disk magnets into, then he had either a felt sleeve on it, or some felt strips on the edges. This seemed like a great idea as well because he could just throw his card to the panel of the car and never have to worry about where he put it. All these tools really made things more in your hands and available.

He said a friend was working on getting the card to hit the shelves and he was just testing, if anyone knows where i can get one i would love one, if not i may look at impregnating my own hard cards with cylindrical magnets.

you can take a look at Olivers Website here.

http://car-wrapping.info/

Regardless just thought i would share and curious to see some other peoples inputs on the advancement of the industry and the tools within it.

Guest WindowTinter

The wire embedded tape sounds pretty similar to spray-in bedliner edge tape. I used to do something similar to this (almost dead-on actually) when large scale custom graphics were needed and before large plotters were common to do the cutting. - like on buses, tractor-trailers, etc.

The bedliner tape has a wire in it and that's what you use to "cut" a good edge in sprayed liner with when you're done (or to do graphics in sprayed liner with different colors of spray)

The wire embedded tape sounds pretty similar to spray-in bedliner edge tape. I used to do something similar to this (almost dead-on actually) when large scale custom graphics were needed and before large plotters were common to do the cutting. - like on buses, tractor-trailers, etc.

The bedliner tape has a wire in it and that's what you use to "cut" a good edge in sprayed liner with when you're done (or to do graphics in sprayed liner with different colors of spray)

do you know where i can purchase some?

Archived