FG falcon radio reception

hey guys, 

i put oxide 30 on a 09 falcon yesterday and now the AM radio barely works at all, has anyone else had any issues with hybrid metal films on these cars? ive found a bunch of forum topics about them having poor radio reception unsure if its film related or just a weak antenna to begin with then the film blocks a bit and makes it terrible? 

car looks mint in the oxide though!

the customer called today and said it worked when he drove the car to me and today it does not work just crackly

no cutting was done inside at all and all demisters and antenna lines were intact

Daz do you use 000 grade steel wool on rear screens? 

the customer called today and said it worked when he drove the car to me and today it does not work just crackly

no cutting was done inside at all and all demisters and antenna lines were intact

Daz do you use 000 grade steel wool on rear screens? 

0000 grade, but that doesn't affect them.

Get them to drop it off to you and leave it with you for a while to investigate (nothing worse than a custy peering over your shoulder)

Ive done heaps in Ox35, NX38/42 and CN35 with no probs - I always check the reception on the am before and after and sometimes I leave the am radio playing while installing to listen for any probs.

Falcons have been known to have poor soldering on the connector at the c pillar. The local Ford Dealer has said that they have had to resolder these from new on occasion.

Turn the am on and rub the outside of the glass with a wad of steel wool and listen for distortion - there shouldn't be any usually but if its  faulty you may hear some. This is how I used to test for whether or not I could use a metal film. 

You can also put a seam into the film just under the bottom most radio antenna line, that should allow reception then.

Worst case, pull it and install Carbonite. Shouldn't have to though, I think you got a dud.

I always check the reception on the am before and after and sometimes I leave the am radio playing while installing to listen for any probs.

Falcons have been known to have poor soldering on the connector at the c pillar. The local Ford Dealer has said that they have had to resolder these from new on occasion.

Turn the am on and rub the outside of the glass with a wad of steel wool and listen for distortion - there shouldn't be any usually but if its faulty you may hear some. This is how I used to test for whether or not I could use a metal film.

You can also put a seam into the film just under the bottom most radio antenna line, that should allow reception then.

Nice tip, thx!

Archived