Magnetic Sheeting for automotive

Guest SSC

Guest SSC

30 mil seems damn thick for small things. plus, I'm pretty sure I can't cut 30mil with my Graphtec. 30 mil doesn't contour very well.

I'm looking to cut magnetic numbers. not panels, like you'd put on a business truck, which I understand have to be thick to hold their own weight. numbers are smaller, each is about 8-10 inches tall and have a one or two inch stroke.

I want to do a lot of these, so I'd rather not hand-cut.

example:

twonats_sm.jpg

Guest SSC

:P

no good. you can't always run the same number. a complete set of digits is the way to go. or at least a couple individual numbers so you can rearrange them. I.e. 16 could be 16, 61, 1, 6, 19, 91 or 9.

-- carrie

Guest SSC
static cling numbers then?

that's what the corvette and some "camarobird" (firebird/camaros) guys do since their body panels are fiberglass. some camarobird guys put their numbers on the rear quarters, since those are metal.

there is a market for this amateur racing stuff. I just see a lot of it because it's our hobby. the mr2 pictured is my own, (and that's me driving it). the numbers on our car are very old and the shop that made them is gone, so I don't know what it is or where to get it. I have another set with thicker magnetic that I don't like, and want to avoid.

people get these in all types of colors/sizes and fonts. so I'm not sure if I should get colored magnetic sheeting, or just get white and apply the colored vinyl. in some cases that will be my only choice, I know.

-- carrie

Guest DixieGraphics

its usually easier to stock the white and apply the colors. it'll save you a good bit of money and customers since you won't have to wait for shipments to do their order

Guest thetintshop

cut the numbers out in vinyl, apply each individual number to a square piece of magnetic sheet. that way, you can switch the numbers around. just cut the magnet close to the number. and keep it square so they fit together. be sure and round the corners so they don't lift.

Archived