You & EU tint laws  

32 members have voted

1. 1. You & EU tint laws

• I am happy from tint laws
    • I think they are not correct
    • For me all the same
    • I am ready to start battle against

Hi EveryBody,

We write here a lot about tint regulations, we discuss here small tricks how to pass threw e.t.c.

But did any of us asked why 35%? Did any of us heard any argument why 35% not 40%?

Are we happy from this tint laws? What will be tomorrow when people who write laws will tell: 35% all car around? We proudly&happy will close our biZ?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tint Wiz
:eyebrows The law is their to be up held, but when police offices come in to my tint shop and want there own cars tinting with a light smoke on front doors, we must ask ourselves should the Law be looked at again,my own car has a 45% tint on front and my wifes car has 50%and we have passed many police cars and they have never looked twice as this looks so light on our cars :shock

Guest signandtint

Leo

january 2004 when the legislation was ammended here in the UK to fall in line with europe I asked VOSA, the body in charge of this ammendment here, for the research results and when they were conducted regarding the 70% max vlt on front glass, how the researchers involved came to the conclusion that glass at 70% vlt was fine as opposed to clear 100% vlt, and that anything even slightly lower than 70 was unroadworthy.

I still await the reply, as they said that it was a fair question and would get back to me...

no surprises that they haven't.

someone at some stage declared 70% vlt a mx limit on vehicle glass.

how did they get to this conclusion surely has to be asked?

who we ask I have no idea.

a study here a few years back deemed motorbike visor limits at 50% vlt showed no significant difference than at the agreed 70% vlt, but thats as far as it went.

it seems we have no choice in the matter, other than to be p'ed off about it.

I think we would all fight back if we knew how and whom :DD

I've been against the law since the moment it changed but to be fair more and more people are coming around to the idea of staying legal and as I take a fairly hard line aproach to it all and tint very very little front windows (using 70% I may add) then I'm not worrying too much!

although if the law were to be updated and become realistic say allow a 50% or even a 35% then I know business would pick up!

to explain how crap the law is I rermoved tint from a renault clio on thursday,police measured it at 29% sounds dark but it was a medium film on it, so I removed it to comply with the rectification notice he was given and then measured the window....as standard the glass measured at 69%!! 1% under the legal limit!!

if standard tinted glass is already under the legal limit then that is an obvious signal to get the laws updated!

p.s the tint on the clio was applied by a tinter who works for renault not me,and was tinted just before the law was ammended!

and one last thing,a while back some of you uk tinters might remember I took the law change/ammendment hard,so I asked for every uk tinter to send me a letter backing me up to try and get somewhere with the dep of transport.

I received 3 letters! and no help whatsoever from johnsons who,at the time were my film supplier.

I went alone on this and went through my local mp right up to a guy called derek jamieson who at the time (might still be?) was the minister for the dep. of transport to get his info/help on this matter.

after a few letters I was basically told to back off as this law had been looked at by the people that matter and now that it was ammended it was a closed issue.

they seem to forget they are in that job to do the right thing by us not to just brush it under the table.

somewhere I have the list of people they got in to give them advice on the levels that deemed to be safe and it's laughable,they got in pentagon who are the biggest tint appliers in the uk but apart from that it was all irrelevent people such as the rac and the aa basically orginisations that dont know this industry from their elbow.

I also have (somewhere) a report from a police dep in england that did a detailed report on wht level of tint can be safe at night,they used the same car and tinted it using various shades of film and found out that 35% tint applied was safe night or day rain or shine but the dep of trans. decided to stick with the outdated 70% limit.

when I asked vosa why motorbike visors have a 50% limit and cars 70% their answer was basically.... cause they do!

Guest tintdeck
and one last thing,a while back some of you uk tinters might remember I took the law change/ammendment hard,so I asked for every uk tinter to send me a letter backing me up to try and get somewhere with the dep of transport.

I received 3 letters! and no help whatsoever from johnsons who,at the time were my film supplier.

I went alone on this and went through my local mp right up to a guy called derek jamieson who at the time (might still be?) was the minister for the dep. of transport to get his info/help on this matter.

after a few letters I was basically told to back off as this law had been looked at by the people that matter and now that it was ammended it was a closed issue.

they seem to forget they are in that job to do the right thing by us not to just brush it under the table.

somewhere I have the list of people they got in to give them advice on the levels that deemed to be safe and it's laughable,they got in pentagon who are the biggest tint appliers in the uk but apart from that it was all irrelevent people such as the rac and the aa basically orginisations that dont know this industry from their elbow.

I also have (somewhere) a report from a police dep in england that did a detailed report on wht level of tint can be safe at night,they used the same car and tinted it using various shades of film and found out that 35% tint applied was safe night or day rain or shine but the dep of trans. decided to stick with the outdated 70% limit.

when I asked vosa why motorbike visors have a 50% limit and cars 70% their answer was basically.... cause they do!

[*]308016

Guest Dr.Window

To me it sucks, in Portugal it is still ilegal to use any kind of tint in cars.

As in many things, Portugal doesn't respect the EU laws so I'm having a little of a problem here to have custumers to came and do it.

I'm depending on home or office films more then automotive ones.

Heard that EWFA did a constitucional complain to the european court law to have this law aprroved in Portugal but till now no news!

But I will survive.

BTW any other Portuguese here??? LOL

To me it sucks, in Portugal it is still ilegal to use any kind of tint in cars.

As in many things, Portugal doesn't respect the EU laws so I'm having a little of a problem here to have custumers to came and do it.

I'm depending on home or office films more then automotive ones.

Heard that EWFA did a constitucional complain to the european court law to have this law aprroved in Portugal but till now no news!

But I will survive.

BTW any other Portuguese here??? LOL

[*]324240

Only thing do EWFA - charging money, IMHO....

Of course I can B wrong...

You are first from Portugal, I see here :thumb

I have spanish man in my stuff :lol2

Guest tintdeck

most of the cars being pulled for tints are by stop checks vosa and police had check points on all the major roads round bolton checking tyres tints sunstrips number plates anything to make easy money and no papper work just a easy way for the goverment to screew more money out of the motorist

I did a mitsubishi shogun 2 years ago it jacknifed on the motorway towing a caravan nobody was injured as the film held the shattered glass [50% on fronts]

saving them from serious injury

asked them if they would have concider a clear tint on front windows NO

had to put 50% or my customer and round this area theres still plenty of them still puttint 6/18 on fronts

Archived