Metal then Carbon then Ceramic.........

Guest redgtxdi

Guest redgtxdi

Is that the order they go in from worst to best??? (Just when I thought I'd caught up to today's film lingo, I'm not even close).

So, I thought HP......(which means/meant "metalized" to me)......was a "middle" line. The way I used to read it was.........

Dyed....(I guess called non-reflective nowadays?)

HP.......(commonly known as "metalized"?)

Titanium.......(maybe not even around anymore, but used to be the top tier?)

And the local guy.....(to whom I graciously returned the scraper he let me borrow)........explained to me that today it's

HP

Carbon

Ceramic

He said that the HP and carbon are 3M but actually Suntek products.......(???).......but that the Ceramic is a true 3M product.

Opinions???/INput???/Feedback??

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that the order they go in from worst to best???  (Just when I thought I'd caught up to today's film lingo, I'm not even close).

So, I thought HP......(which means/meant "metalized" to me)......was a "middle" line.  The way I used to read it was.........

Dyed....(I guess called non-reflective nowadays?)

HP.......(commonly known as "metalized"?)

Titanium.......(maybe not even around anymore, but used to be the top tier?)

And the local guy.....(to whom I graciously returned the scraper he let me borrow)........explained to me that today it's

HP

Carbon

Ceramic

He said that the HP and carbon are 3M but actually Suntek products.......(???).......but that the Ceramic is a true 3M product.

Opinions???/INput???/Feedback??

[*]335852

non reflective = dyed films

High Performance = either metallized films or somewhat..

Titanium, Platinum Plus, Glux, is what they're called depending on the film company, these films tend to be real reflective, almost like silver but not quite.

High performance films depending on the company, some are shiny looking but not quite what I just mentioned above. and some high performance films are not shiny at all. it all depends on what brand of film your talking about.

for example 3M has they're color stable film, is just like dye but its got a full warranty, and its a very nice neutral film but a biatch to work with for the rookies.

in other words any film out there in OT's remark and I quote him

"the shiat works"

:bingo

Guest redgtxdi
non reflective = dyed films

High Performance = either metallized films or somewhat..

Titanium, Platinum Plus, Glux, is what they're called depending on the film company, these films tend to be real reflective, almost like silver but not quite.

High performance films depending on the company, some are shiny looking but not quite what I just mentioned above. and some high performance films are not shiny at all. it all depends on what brand of film your talking about.

for example 3M has they're color stable film, is just like dye but its got a full warranty, and its a very nice neutral film but a biatch to work with for the rookies.

in other words any film out there in OT's remark and I quote him

"the shiat works"

:bingo

[*]335862

OK............

Well, what he was telling me was that the "reflective" issue is no longer an issue with 3M. (But I recall him about 5 years ago telling me how HP was "silvery" looking.) I guess things changed since then??

If the reason HP dropped to the bottom tier.....(at least for him).......is because it interferred with radio antennas, then why have CARBON ***and*** CERAMIC?????????

He quoted mid 100's to do my '98 Camry (true 5 window job) w/ the HP and circa 2 bills to do it in the Ceramic. (I wish I'd asked him more about the carbon).......(carbonized?...LOL).

I figure for the extra $50, I'd rather have the best sheott!! (And it'll be a *wisdom* experience since I've never owned a car w/ ceramic film). Plus, he said that the ceramic is absolutely the truest color he's ever used in 20+ years. (I *do* think some cars look good with a reflective look, but my Camry's maroon and black looks better).

Reason I'm not doing my car is............well........same reason some folks here don't like doing their own car. I want it done as perfectly as can be done without my doing it......(which would certainly be less perfect than this guy who I'd trust with a Bentley).

Carbon = metal oxide... Somtech calls it carbon though it's a dyed film with not weatherable polyester.

MMM's CS film is a pigmented polyester with an oxide coating (carbon, if you wish)...

The only connection Somtech has with MMM is that it is believed that MMM's FX low cost is put together by Somtech.

Ceramic = 22,000 plus versions, but for the film he speaks of (huper optiks) it'll be titanium nitride... a conductive ceramic. There are non conductive ceramics that have been in film for years.

HP, can be an all metal or a hybrid (dye/metal, dye/oxide, ceramic/pigmented polyester, ceramic/dyed), depending upon who's film it is.

Guest redgtxdi
Carbon = metal oxide... Somtech calls it carbon though it's a dyed film with not weatherable polyester.

MMM's CS film is a pigmented polyester with an oxide coating (carbon, if you wish)...

The only connection Somtech has with MMM is that it is believed that MMM's FX low cost is put together by Somtech.

Ceramic = 22,000 plus versions, but for the film he speaks of (huper optiks) it'll be titanium nitride... a conductive ceramic. There are non conductive ceramics that have been in film for years.

HP, can be an all metal or a hybrid (dye/metal, dye/oxide, ceramic/pigmented polyester, ceramic/dyed), depending upon who's film it is.

[*]335883

Wow, I think that kinda' overlapped a bit & jumped acrossed boundary lines............ :bingo

Any easier breakdown???

(FWIW, what I gathered from what you said is that there's almost no difference between an "HP" metalized and a "carbon" metalized??? I also gather that because the huber optiks is "conductive", it's more antenna friendly??? As opposed to regular metalized that interfere with antennas???)

Guest redgtxdi

Hmm.......didn't understand the rhymezone link, but....hey. :thumb

Now........I came upon this old thread..........

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/lofiversion/...php/t20646.html

This is how I see it.........

FX-ST = (plain jane, non metallized).....actually a Suntek product

FX-HP = (metallized)........also a Suntek product but very good

CS = (color sable)...........???? metallized?? not?? Warranty against just about everything and pretty nice looking film.

Then there were reports of "BLACK CHROME"????? I can't find it on 3M search, but I do find it here.......

http://www.epdwindowfilm.com/autotint.html

However, it doesn't seem to say much other than it's appearance. I presume that CS is also a fairly reflective black as that's what I was told today. Perhaps black chrome didn't take off like folks thought it would??????????????

Archived