bluetooth on a laptop

I got a new laptop I've been working on getting all up to snuff over the weekend. It comes with bluetooth capability ..can someone please describe to me in layman terms what this means :lol

My guess is that I'm somehow able to surf the net while on the go if I'm willing to spend the $$$ for monthly fees?

Does this mean I can use it wherever a cell phone goes?

Do I need additional hardware?

Does it surf as fast as being at home?

Any info would be appreciated :thumb

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tint Technology

Bluetooth is a wireless way of communicating with other devices as long as they are bluetooth enabled. Most mobile phones (sorry in US speak cell phones) are bluetooth enabled which means you can transfer photos etc wirelessly to your laptop of vias versa. To connect to another device I.e. your printer you will need a bluetooth dongle which fits into the USB port.

In basic terms it's a wireless connection between devices that you would normally use a cable.

Hope this helps, sure there are many more Geeks on the site that know alot better than me. :thumb

Thanks for the link :thumb

I was hoping I was able to take the laptop in the RV in the summer and keep in touch at the same time ..can I do this ..or am I ahead of myself in where wireless technology is yet ?

This laptop even has a fingerprint security on it ..even if you chop off my finger it won't let you in because it has to detect a pulse in the finger as well as the fingerprint :lol2 Too much comp for me :lol

It should have a wireless card port on it. If it does then all you do is get a wireless card from your existing cell phone company (around $50-$150) depending on any promotional sales going on. Then all you do is slide that card into the card slot and the computer connects to the internet automatically when you click on your browser icon. You do have to load the wireless card program (cd-rom disc comes with card) on your computer first. Then Yes you can surf anywhere you get cell phone reception. Depending on the type of card you get or monthly service you get, the speed is pretty darn fast (DSL speed). I think basic monthly fees are around $50 and that is unlimited time and downloads. My 12 year old nephew has one and he loves it. They live out in the country and they could only get dial up service at home so this option made it faster for them. Hope that helps. The bluetooth technology is just for your computer to communicate with other devices (printer, phone, PSP, etc..) not for connecting to the web.

wow-offerHighSpeed1.jpg

69010-pc-card-inserted.jpg

Archived