New User, visited this site for years

I've never been much for selling anything, but I was once told by a very wise person that when you count on sales, you can count on about 1 out of every 10 closing. I don't know how this compares to your situation, but that's a starting point. Maybe you are closing more than others and you just want more? On the other hand, maybe you are closing 1 out of every 20? Either way, raise your prices! People will wonder why you are so much more than the compitetion and call you to find out why.

Don't bad mouth competitors, it makes you look bad. Just be prepared to answer any question a customer might have (even the most outlandish) and when you get to the point of quoting a price, quote a single price to complete the job, not $--- for the film, $--- for the installation and definately not $--- for you noisy slobbering kids running around while I try to work. If someone wants a "per foot" quote, tell them your prices start at $XX per foot and go up from there depending on the quality of film THEY select and the difficulty of the installation.

If you don't already have one, start a portfolio of your work! Before and after pictures are GREAT sales tools. Also, offer your installs a $xx or XX% discount if they will write you a letter of recommendation. Put that in your portfolio with the customers home/business pictures. People like to see homes and building they recognise with your work on them. It also serves as a sample book for various types of film. Printed brochures and technical information from film manufacturers doesn't impress many people. They want to see finished goods! That doesn't mean technical information isn't important, just don't try to make your sale with it.

Try some different methods of generating sales leads as well! Door hangers seem to be getting popular! Send a group of teens into a neighborhood with a fist full of door hangers and tell them you'll pay them a flat rate to hang them on doors. An hourly rate will cause them to "slack" if you know what I mean. If you have a secretary, turn her into a telemarketer! Start out with businesses and them move to homes. If the secretary generates a lead that sells, give her/him a percentage of the sale (just figure it into your quote), money is a great motivator!

I wouldn't recommend putting anything on the cars at the mall, when the people come out and throw them on the ground, the mall will call you to come clean their parking lot! When you tint a car, give the customer some sort of brochure about homes with their receipt, you never know?

Anyway, I don't know. Maybe some of this helped, maybe not. Good Luck!

Guest the rookie

Selling anything to anyone takes a lil enthusiasm if your enthhusiastic they will get enthusiastic .

if you are neither here nor there with it so will be the customer.

1. its all about features,

2. its all about benefits ,

3. its all about advantages.

example = so your thinking of tinting your car someday soon ? TERRIFIC !

LET ME SHOW YOU MY FILM EXAMPLES SO WE CAN FIND JUST THE RIGHT

TINT FOR YOUR CAR !

did you know this film is scratch resistant ? ( feature )

( benefit ) = hard to scratch .

and if you have kids playing in the back it,s a win win situation ( advantage)

and you can do the same thing with what the tint will look like.

what percentage of light gets through . how it helps. etc etc .

lifetime guarantee etc warantee

why you only use quality film etc. etc etc.

did you know we accept cash check money orders and credit cards. ?

as an incentive if you let me install it today I will give you a 10 % percent discount !!

just promise me you will tell your friends who hooked you up ...OK ? :thumb

P.S .. OBVIOUSLY IM A ROOKIE THOUGH USE YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

Took the advice, actually had time to run home, change into a more prof. look. I even wore a belt! I was more prepared than typically, made a thorough estimate, and evidently they need to submit the estimate to Corp for approval. Watch it be one of those Net 30 gigs. What a jip..... but we will see

I bid them that new VCOOL stuff, anyone use it yet? great $$$$ :eyebrows

Makes sense, doesn't help when I try to tuck my shirt in and mash my hair down after I've tinted 5 or 6 cars, hoping to look presentable. maybe try a shower before the appt huh....? :shock

great advice guys, thanks.. The only other prob is finding the time to market and advertise.

Don't be afraid to set aside 1 day or so a week for estimates.

Do your cars to pay the bills we all have to supplement income now and then especially in the begining. Try flyers ,local paper, play on what ppl in your area need for flat glass. When you get a call ask if they would like estimate then tell them I have an opening at (specific time and day) they almost always at least for me bite and take my time selected. :lol2

You can do both for a while but it boils down to time managment.

oh yeah and :eyebrows

Archived