Can factory tint be removed?

Just a thought, I was wondering if any of y'all had heard or seen something like this....A while back a blazer with the factory bronze rear quarters came in with clear spots in the factory tint, completely clear. We inquired, and the customer said he had splattered some wheel acid on them, anyone else heard this?

Guest GottaWearShades

There are two types of 'factory' tint. One is embedded in the glass. The other, more common in aftermarket glass like sunroofs, is a sort of 'electrostatically' applied coating. You see it in finishes on sunglasses. It's relatively durable but can be scratched off. If you were willing to go to that much trouble, a jewellers rouge could remove the coating.

Guest Key West
There are two types of 'factory' tint. One is embedded in the glass. The other, more common in aftermarket glass like sunroofs, is a sort of 'electrostatically' applied coating. You see it in finishes on sunglasses. It's relatively durable but can be scratched off. If you were willing to go to that much trouble, a jewellers rouge could remove the coating.

I had a Honda (I wanna say it was one of the first Passports :) ) back in the early '90s that had that!! When I went to blade the back side window, SCRATCH!! (OOPS!) It was like the factory tint was on the inside surface. I've only seen it that one time, and haven't seen it since. :mad That one COULD have been aftermarket, but I don't think so. :)

Archived