The New Glass

I understand that the next wave of auto glass technology coming (within 5years) is a lexan composite. You can't tint lexan reliably. I am sure the tint manufacturers are watching and formulating film for it. Anyone else heard of this?

Guest Litespeeds

Haven't heard anything about lexan for windows on autos. It would be a good idea for safety against glass breakage but what if you are trapped in the car and need to escape? :) If you can't break through the window, I think there would be a big liability issue. :lol

Do you have any info or link that talks about it?

I'll do some digging and let ya know. I saw a write up at a 3M meeting I was at.

The auto manufacturers claim dramatic weight savings (spell that fuel economy) and less manufacturing cost compared to glass - both combined (and maybe some other reasons I don't remember) were enough to get it into production. There were some small things, like less weight means they use less powerful (and less costly) window lift motors and so on.

They had some in cars already for durability and on the road testing. (p.s. my other business is in car parts so I get a lot of data from Ford and GM)

I'll dig and post when I find something. I was hoping someone else had heard it too.

Guest S and S

I'm with Lite...if you cant bust it out in a accident, in order to get out, then it wouldnt be approved, wouldnt have to worry about your car getting the windows busted out and stolen though, would ya? :thumbdown

where's metint when we need him

Yes it's true... company out of Germany been working on the concept of glass/plastic composite, that will not easily scratch, for years.

No success to date.

No idea as to whether film can be applied and removed from such an animal, jury's still out. :thumb

The busting out issue is moot when considering the fact we have vehicles such as the Audi A8, which has lami glass all around. :thumbdown

Guest djenterprise
The auto manufacturers claim dramatic weight savings (spell that fuel economy) and less manufacturing cost compared to glass - both combined (and maybe some other reasons I don't remember) were enough to get it into production.  There were some small things, like less weight means they use less powerful (and less costly) window lift motors and so on.

I cant believe it :thumb They already bulid cars w/ cheap :rollin parts, now they want to make them cheaper! Anyways my feelings on car manufactures are this.

NO matter how much you try to change up :mad it will always be :lol

Archived