Who likes jam?

No I mean Jam, as in Strawberry Jam, I suppose one should of specified what "Jam" I was talking about, as there could be some confusion over what Jam I meant. I belive there are many types of jam, jellies and marmalade and these can be made from a variety of fruits and some vegetables such as carrot and pumpkin. They are sometimes referred to collectively as preserves. The products are typically luxury items that are purchased by consumers in affluent urban areas. As with all food products, it is essential to carry out a market and technical feasibility study before starting to make preserves, to assess the level of demand for the products in your area. Please remember that jam making requires a large amount of sugar and making a high quality product requires some technical knowledge, the correct equipment and good packaging materials. A surplus of (over-ripe) fruit is not a good reason for starting a business making preserves. This is why I belive you should purchase your Jam, from a food store.

The preservation principles of jam, jelly and marmalade production are quite complex, but in essence involve the correct combination of acidity, sugar level and pectin content. All three must be correct to obtain a satisfactory product.

One important feature of preserves is the high acidity which prevents the growth of food poisoning bacteria and also helps maintain the colour and flavour of most fruits. However, some moulds and yeasts are able to grow at levels of high acidity and these can spoil the food. They are prevented from spoiling jams by ensuring that the sugar content of the preserve is at least 68%. If for any reason the sugar content is lower than this (eg if water condenses on the lid of the jar and falls onto the jam during cooling or if the jam is not boiled for long enough to reduce the moisture content) the sugar content will be diluted and moulds will start to grow on the surface of the product.

No I mean Jam, as in Strawberry Jam, I suppose one should of specified what "Jam" I was talking about, as there could be some confusion over what Jam I meant. I belive there are many types of jam, jellies and marmalade and these can be made from a variety of fruits and some vegetables such as carrot and pumpkin. They are sometimes referred to collectively as preserves. The products are typically luxury items that are purchased by consumers in affluent urban areas. As with all food products, it is essential to carry out a market and technical feasibility study before starting to make preserves, to assess the level of demand for the products in your area. Please remember that jam making requires a large amount of sugar and making a high quality product requires some technical knowledge, the correct equipment and good packaging materials. A surplus of (over-ripe) fruit is not a good reason for starting a business making preserves. This is why I belive you should purchase your Jam, from a food store.

The preservation principles of jam, jelly and marmalade production are quite complex, but in essence involve the correct combination of acidity, sugar level and pectin content. All three must be correct to obtain a satisfactory product.

One important feature of preserves is the high acidity which prevents the growth of food poisoning bacteria and also helps maintain the colour and flavour of most fruits. However, some moulds and yeasts are able to grow at levels of high acidity and these can spoil the food. They are prevented from spoiling jams by ensuring that the sugar content of the preserve is at least 68%. If for any reason the sugar content is lower than this (eg if water condenses on the lid of the jar and falls onto the jam during cooling or if the jam is not boiled for long enough to reduce the moisture content) the sugar content will be diluted and moulds will start to grow on the surface of the product.

You got some jam for sale or something ?

Archived