Good, Better, Best Automotive

I've been lurking here for a while now and have found a ton of useful info from the site. Figured it was time that I actually registered. Been tinting for about 6 years now and I own my own shop.

I've been hearing that my prices are considerably lower than that of my closest competitors and I am trying to come up with a new pricing structure as to increase profits. I would just increase prices and forget about it but I do get a lot of younger clients that money is an issue with. So what I am thinking of doing is setting it up like a good better best deal, where good will be a good dyed film like Basic Black and will stay at my current prices(now I currently only use Suntek Carbon), better would be like the Carbon or Lulu Atc, and best would be something like Lulu ATX.

My thinking is that most will go for the better option to get the lifetime warranty, thus getting higher profit margins, but I still wont be losing the price objective customer. Probably very few would go with the best option in my area.

Next question is how much price difference between the good, better, best levels?

Any insight from anyone that has used this method successfully or unsuccessfully in the past is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Call suppliers to get the prices that's your best bet on that avenue.

I'd offer HP as an entry level for two reasons.. one its usually the lowest price and two when Mr. Lexus/BMW/Mercedes comes in breaking my balls on a price I can offer him this film but let them know their manufacturer does not suggest a metal film on their car, and up sell them into a higher end non metal film.

Step three would be something like ATX utilizing the IR heat box display to assist in up selling to the premium film.

A lot of guys complain of the inventory costs to do this but they sell partial rolls and the money invested into a tint business is very little compared to any other business. But hey different strokes for different folks.

Guest tintbuyer

Hi all, it's good to start thinking about your customer and what they need (Good/Better/Best is not a profit-system but a customer-satisfaction system, right)?

Although I think you want someone to tell you what works, the only thing you can get is what worked for them. After all, your business AND YOUR CUSTOMERS won't be exactly like someone else's.

This means that if you really want to succeed, you have to do some heavy lifting.

To start, you should look through your receipts and start to picture your 'typical' customer. You need to consider what Michael Gerber in his world-renowned book "The E-myth" calls "Demographic and Psychographic". What does your customer LOOK LIKE and WHY do they buy. Consider the teenager (demographic) who buys dark tint because it's awesome [not sure what kids call it these days, I would have called it 'rad' when I was a teenager] .. this is his psychographic. The biggest mistake window tinters can make in marketing is to assume all their customers are just like them. You can just as easily have a low-rider driving tattooed kid go into a shop owned by a izod-wearing MBA as you can a 2010 Beamer driving housewife drive into a shop with pictures of girls in bikinis on the wall. Who is your customer? If you don't know then how do you decide what to sell them? Do you just sell everyone what YOU like?

Now that you know who your customer is, you as the tinting expert have to provide what THEY need (or maybe you might discover it's a better idea to change what your doing that brings that kind of customer to you).

Now to your question - I have been in the industry for over a decade and know hundreds of window tinters (although I have never tinted a window successfully myself). My experience selling window tinting tells me that GOOD/BETTER/BEST is a losing proposition.

My first reason I don't like GOOD/BETTER/BEST is that when you see window tinters say to their customer "if you want something GOOD, I have this dyed limo tint but if you want something REALLY GOOD I have this nanotechnology high VLT film". Those films are totally different but I see tinters do it all the time. If you (as I do on www.TintBuyer.com) ask a couple questions and find out what they need you will see that limo and nano are too different in appearance to both be acceptable to your client. If you really think about it, you are only trying to create the illusion of value - there aren't really three levels of film for any particular customer's needs for a certain appearance. WARNING - if you add some crummy film with no warranty I guess you could have a third level but don't believe for a second that it will matter that you told them there was no warranty - they will tell everyone that you and your shop sell bad film.

My second reason is that your customer will always pick the middle one! Here again you might feel like you upsold someone from a cheaper film and won. How often did you actually have someone who would have bought the "BEST" choice if there was no 'middle' choice?

Good luck and go to www.Tintbuyer.com/dealer to sign up for FREE leads from my users through March.

I ask a couple questions like

"how did you want the vehicle to look? uniform all the way around or dark in the back and light in the front?"

"now your car has an internal AM antenna. do you ever listen to AM radio?"

"all of our films have a lifetime warranty. were you looking to block out excess heat or just add privacy?"

then start goin over the films and making suggestions. I too dont believe in good better best. all of my films are the best. its just what the customer wants that determines what I put on

Ok, so I think I will forget the good better best deal and just ask the ?s like vip said. Customer gets what they want, they leave feeling informed, and your represented as the expert on tint that you should be.

Next ?, does the price difference that you charge just reflect the difference in film price?

I think a good display here in the showroom is what is needed, anyone have any good ideas? or pics of theirs?

Ok, so I think I will forget the good better best deal and just ask the ?s like vip said. Customer gets what they want, they leave feeling informed, and your represented as the expert on tint that you should be.

Next ?, does the price difference that you charge just reflect the difference in film price?

I think a good display here in the showroom is what is needed, anyone have any good ideas? or pics of theirs?

no dude, imo make it worth your time upselling and carrying additional lines of film. Charge an additional $20 per line or more up to your best line. :nope

Archived