Anyone work from their garage?

Guest scottydosnntkno
I think a point to be made is it's got nothing to do with working from home that determine quality. It's technique , experience and having a professional , clean environment that matters . Any of those are missing , some form of quality will suffer. I've done mobile, worked in supposidly "pro commercial" environments and the cleanest work has come from my own shop from home where I can control airflow, humidity, temp , dust and lighting at will. Some shouldn't paint all home tinters with the same brush :spit

:duel I hate working at my one detail shop because they have this nasty oily floor, and the air always seems to be dirty from them blowing shiat around. I like my garage much better, because its clean, painted, and has zero airflow when you close the doors

you do realize that to make 50K is to do about 90K in gross sales even working out of your garage, tint is'nt free and doing --- cars at $---.00 comes to about 90,750 and at a low $XX.00 per car for tint adds up to $12,100 plus insurance, advertising, phone, supplies, and everything eles that comes with running a business.

That per car cost depends on what type of film you use though. Using TB, I'm right about $X/car, assuming I don't mess up a window :spit At least for my company, my expenses are extremely low, since insurance is less than 1k/year, then film costs, electricity is about $150/mo, and other than gas thats really it. The benefits of living at home :duel

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tint51
I'm not making any money yet because I don't feel comfortable taking on paying customers :duel but when I do is it way unprofessional to tint out of my garage? I've talked to some of the local shops and they say they don't need help and probably won't need help anytime soon. Does anyone else work out of their garage or do most of you have a shop? I know it may not look unprofessional but I can't afford a shop at the moment and I gotta start somewhere

Why not.. less over head.. I do... most customers would have a problem.. If they do u don't want anyways because they are going to be really picky...

Guest tint51
Do you want every Tom,Dick and Joe to know where you and your family live?

:duel

This is why I never did it that way...I did mobile for a while before buying a junky shop. Now ive got a nice shop with an office, but it took more than 5 years...

There are many who do run their biz from their garage, but what happens when there is a problem? Is it ok for these people to show up at your house on a Sunday when youre watching football drinking a cold one?

I understand but in CA it is a lot of money per month to rent/lease a place.. unless you have a lot of business coming in..

Guest tint51
Maybe its because 50k a year is not alot.. Id rather get benefits, vacation, no customer service issues, and work normal hours if thats all Im gonna make.

Wow! :duel

I use my garage. It looks like a shop. I have good light, nice painted walls, two glass boards, banners and pictures on the walls. Last but not least my expensive plotter in the corner, as soon as anyone see's it they have no questions. Weird what that machine will do for the customer's trust when they see how much you have spent on your apperance. :duel

I use my garage. It looks like a shop. I have good light, nice painted walls, two glass boards, banners and pictures on the walls. Last but not least my expensive plotter in the corner, as soon as anyone see's it they have no questions. Weird what that machine will do for the customer's trust when they see how much you have spent on your apperance. :lol2

I can see how that would make a difference. If I were to go to two seperate guys working from their garage and one had all his sh!t laying around and the other had a very professional looking garage I don't see why I wouldn't do business with him.

I use my garage. It looks like a shop. I have good light, nice painted walls, two glass boards, banners and pictures on the walls. Last but not least my expensive plotter in the corner, as soon as anyone see's it they have no questions. Weird what that machine will do for the customer's trust when they see how much you have spent on your apperance. :lol2

I can see how that would make a difference. If I were to go to two seperate guys working from their garage and one had all his sh!t laying around and the other had a very professional looking garage I don't see why I wouldn't do business with him.

This is what I'm talking about :lol2

Guest scottydosnntkno
im sure in the uk it is illegal to run a business from home unless it is so far away from your home, anyone know the exact rules on this?

you live in the UK, not us :dunno

I specifically built an oversize garage in my new house with full insulation, 12 ft ceiling, and twice the lighting the electrician said it needed. I did this so I can use it for whatever I want. As for people knowing where I live..... :dunno

Archived