If I drive in another state...? (limo tint)

Guest svet

Thinking of limo on the rears, legal where I live (CA), but wondering what happens when I drive to OR and WA where the max is 35%...?

How does one figure out if that will fly? Like, is it by state reg, or just illegal if you happen to be there, period? (I assume this is different in every state, not to mention each officer's disposition at the moment...)

Also, CO has 2 set of rules, I am assuming that if I have no tint on the front, any on the rear flies. Do I read that right? But don't all windows have some % right from the factory? Or are they just going after aftermarket tint?

I am not liking the thought of going 35% just because OR and WA are uptightarses about tint, as I will rarely be there, but would of course like the option of driving through unmolested by guys with guns and attitudes. just sayin...

its supposed to be legal to where ever the car is registered. Now I have heard cases of them issueing citations, but they usually dont hold up. I would like to say that the cop that would pull you over would be privy to the laws and kind enough to not give you a ticket. I honestly dont think you would have an issue.

Not sure out there on the West coast, but here there are several States that are issueing tickets to out-of-state drivers even if those drivers are legal in their registered state. I`m about 60 miles north of the AL/GA line, and I`ve had several custy`s get tickets in GA for tint that is legal in TN, but not in GA. I`ve also had a custy get a ticket in Virginia for film that was legal in TN. The states here are pretty much doing whatever they want on tint tickets to generate revenue. TN recently changed their law to allow law enforcement to issue tickets to out-of-state drivers if their film isn`t TN compliant. I don`t think it will hold up in TN, but VA and GA tickets were not thrown out, and the custy`s did have to pay them. They were both told, in so many words, that if they were on a VA or GA street, they had to comply with VA or GA law, no matter where the vehicle was titled. Pretty much BS, but its hard to fight city hall.

ask 10 different cops and get 10 different answers.

Friend had to strip off his 5% tint in AZ coming from Cali to NM with NM plates on the car. I mean it's illegal in all 3 states, lol, but just passing through he got stopped and had to remove it in front of the cop to not get a citation. I put some 35% on when he got to NM.

ask 10 different cops and get 10 different answers.

pretty much what blade says.

Friend had to strip off his 5% tint in AZ coming from Cali to NM with NM plates on the car. I mean it's illegal in all 3 states, lol, but just passing through he got stopped and had to remove it in front of the cop to not get a citation. I put some 35% on when he got to NM.

Guest coredneck

I gotten pulled over for tint in Utah. I have 5% rear and backsides and 15% on front doors back in 2008. No ticket, just a verbal. I know the highway patrolman was looking for something bigger !

Concerning TN, the interesting thing is they changed their law to now enforce on out of state vehicles. I posted an item on it earlier on this forum.

I gotten pulled over for tint in Utah. I have 5% rear and backsides and 15% on front doors back in 2008. No ticket, just a verbal. I know the highway patrolman was looking for something bigger !

Concerning TN, the interesting thing is they changed their law to now enforce on out of state vehicles. I posted an item on it earlier on this forum.

Yes they have, along with GA and VA and I believe WV. I don`t see it standing up in court with a competent attorney, but who knows.

I have a shop in north FL, and I have a bunch that come back saying they got a ticket in GA. GA actually passed a law saying that if your caught in their state with illigal tint no matter if your just passing thru or not you get a ticket, I dont think its right but its like saying in your state you can smoke marryjane legally but go to another state you will get busted for it, The way I look at it is that if they want revenue from other states comming to their state then they need to stop the out of state tickets. But who am I. lol

Guest tintjam65

I would think it has something to do with profiling and the advent of high performance films that do not look dark.

My suspicions are they ticket out of state in hopes of not having a traveler fight it in court. They shouldn't have jurisdiction over cars registered in another state as long as the film complies with their home state. :woowoo Who knows these days. Most cops seemingly work from their own set of rules rather than abide by, enforce or even know their own State's laws.

Archived