New business idea?? Feedback needed!!

I had a business idea I have been considering for a while now. I am currently the store manager of a truck accessory store. My main interest though is in the actual installation of the products. I enjoy installing the parts more than any of my other duties. I enjoy making the car look and perform better than just being a parts pusher. My business idea is to open a shop where all we do is install accessories. This would include ground effects, spoilers, lowering kits, lift kits, truck accessories, intakes, alarms, cd players, exhaust systems and other similar parts. Basically most anything you could buy for your car we would install except high performance engine parts, custom fiberglassing and other installations requiring a high level of fabrication. I would only install new parts as there are too many potential problems with used parts. I could market this business to car enthusiasts as well as shoppers who purchase parts online. Possibly even set up a system with online retailers to send these customers to us if they desire installation. Also we could subcontract a window tinter to do tinting, a body shop to paint parts for us, a spray on bed liner company to do spray on's. Basically any type of labor automotive accessory service. I could also market my company to existing shops to perform installations that they currently don't perform in-house. I also am very close to opening a website to sell parts and could parlay that into a retail store at some time using my installation business as the installation center for my retail store. This would most likely start out as a small 2 bay shop (possibly old gas station service center) or a small area in an industrial park. There would be just me and one other employee. I would also work a 3rd shift job in the beginning to meet my prior financial obligations. Just been considering this lately, going to be graduating from college in a couple months with a degree in business management, a degree in automotive service management, and a certificate in entrepreneurship and looking to try something on my own. Let me know what you think, any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Jason

Guest scotteac

You've got a great plan. I did the above for 6 years and gave it up because it was to hard to find good help but your area may have more people in this field. As for subcontracting out painting and spray in bedliners I would find a shop big enough to do it all in because if you start sending the business to somebody else they will catch on sooner or later and bypass the middleman which would be you.

Guest Litespeeds

Sounds like you have a very good plan. Subletting the work to professionals is the best thing you could do when you first start off a business. Just do what you do best and don't be a Jack of all trades and master of none.

The aftermarket scene is still alive and if you ever had the chance to go to SEMA, you would agree. I would try to specialize in one area like trucks and suvs as this is the market that alot of people are upgrading. Just try not to overstock inventory as when times get slow, you will hate to be sitting on parts. I think you should do just fine as long as you have a realistic goal that is achievable.

Good Luck!

Guest Sprinter

sounds good, for inventory don't carry any let them use your computer and order online and have it sent to you, you call customer tell them it's in and then install it! this way you won't get burned if they don't show up and you won't have your cash tied up in inventory!

you can get into the bedliner business for under 4000.00 bucks it just depends on which one you want to go with!