removing tint

I have done nothing in the past couple of days but strip old film off cars.

I'm interested in what everybodys methods for strippping old tint is. I recently purchased a steamer hoping this was the best thing since sliced bread. nope. I do like it to remove glue off the sides, if I'm patient enough to let it heat up. But I still like the old garbage bag deal the best.

I would also like to know what everybody charges. ex. per hour, per car, per window?

I do have a tip for those of you who work in the cold climates. I work in the same building as a body shop and have access to a bake light for paint. This is awesome to use in the winter months when you can't pull a car out to let the garbage bag and your stripping solution bake the rear glass. In some cases it seems to work faster. :lol6

Thanks for the feed back

tg

Guest Litespeeds

The best thing to do is to give a variable price so the customer knows it will be a minumum of $$ to a maximum of $$$. When I remove film from the back glass we usually quote a minumum of $75 to a maximum of $150. The rollups are usually $15 each and the quarters are $5-$10 depending upon size.

We actually spend more time removing tint than if we were to tint the same windows. Figure it should cost right around the same as tinting the vehicle but each shop and person is different.

Take a look at my tip of the week regarding window tint removal and the customer. :lol6

Guest BCCwintint

I like all the feedback and seeing the way other tinters do it on TintDude.com. :lol6 I love it! Personally on old purple delaminated film I use the Windex and trash bag trick, but then again, I haven't bought me a steamer yet. I guess how good they work remains to be seen.

Guest Sprinter

I bag the back then when done with the sides using the steamer I steam the back off, some purple stuff that is bubbled will not allways come off so scraping is the last thing when all eles fails.

sprinter, Does that steamer really remove the glue. I've tried a couple of times and it doesnt seem to work. The only luck I have is that it breaks down the glue so its easy to scrap off. I don't want to scrap off the rear defroster

Guest fastlanedesigns

I do find that steamers do not always work on all brands of film. Then again, I have had some that come off adhesive and all. I think it just depends on what you are removing.

Guest SQUEEGEE
I do find that steamers do not always work on all brands of film.  Then again, I have had some that come off adhesive and all.  I think it just depends on what you are removing.

Same with the bag trick. Doesn't work on all bubbled up tint.

I will say that if the bag trick doesn't work it isn't very likely that the steam method will be much more effective but it sure beats going at it with only a razor and alot of elbow grease only.

Guest goldntint

I tried steaming the old tint off too. I think that the amount of time it is on there could also have something to do with how good it works. Just a suggestion.

Guest S and S
I  tried steaming the old tint off too. I think that the amount of time it is on there could also have something to do with how good it works. Just a suggestion.

Also the type of steamer matters!!

Archived