Classic mini

Anyone done of these? Rear screen is in a rubber, would you trim the rubber or remove the window? I'm thinking the easiest would be window out but I didnt want the bodywork crumbling around me, thanks in advance.

Guest shadowline

Yep old ones are a pain glass out is the only way for a proper finish and I agree the newer minis are so much easier, 40 mins drive in drive out!

Guest Smashy

Get the customer to take them out, much easier and less risk. Back window needs the seal to be removed, shrink and cut film just inside the edge of the glass all the way round and then re install the seal, you won't see the edge of the film.

Be careful of the heated rear window connections as these are brittle and can break off when the glass is sat on a table. Get something to sit under the glass to keep it off the table and protect the clips.Also when you shrink on the outside and cut the film where the heater connections are, as the glass is so curved it may not line up when reinstalling and you may have to re trim slightly.

Side windows, they have a chrome trim all the way round with a rubber gasket inside. Don't take the trim off as you'll never get it back on and over the rubber gasket. Also warn the customer of dirt contamination before you start. Old windows, chrome trim in place and all the way round; water has nowhere to escape when cleaning prior to install so you will have dirt under it.

Best to warn the customer first. Mine was an expert in converting and rebuilding mini's and he wouldn't take the trim or gasket off the side windows from experience. I did the job and there was dirt under the film which I was gutted about as I like spotless installs; he was chuffed to bits and the mini now does shows around the country.

Archived