Question for all you tinters in the colder regions!

Blackoutauto, I believe you are talking installing inside. Use less slip, put literally about 1/4 of alcohol in your bottle (I use 91%), use seperate bottle to spray and squeegee and get as much water out as possible. Let the custy know if they see any water bubbles or distortion it will clear up in 6 to 8 weeks, summer 3 to 5 (keeps them from panicking). The alcohol dissipates the water between the film and glass to dry faster (so you don't get frozen water bubbles that dry and end up with air bubbles) and the periodic heat softens the adhesive and sucks the polyester to the glass in time. I spent over 25 yrs in the Upper Michigan and the first few sucked if you feel me.

You will be fine

Hope this helps and cheers

Forgot to ask, where I am the weather changes every time I change the channel so I don't think it would help me watch the forecast (even though I do). I end up on a number of yachts and the weather is always different leaving my house and getting to the site.

Cheers

Please keep in mind that if its not quite cold enough to freeze the slip on install day that night it just might be .

Some frames may collect water inside and when that water freezes and expands then the glass just may not be able to  take it.

One of our dealers had most of an afternoons work get redone a few weeks later when all the glass was replaced.

Agreed. Fortunately wearthefoxhat I have never had it happen to me with security films. I have turned windows down in the winter due to the fact that the cold will tell you what windows have seal failure this time of year with all the moisture between panes.

I believe security film was the topic. I would understand the contraction with tinted films heating and cooling.

Single pane is something to be concerned about. If you have a good supplier who has installed security film in cold climates, they can tell you some tricks to deal with freezing. If it is dual pane then the cold is not as big of an issue. Just have your customer raise the heating set point at night while the film is drying. :twocents

Many types of films can be installed in very cold temperatures. The trick is to get ALL of the water out. Alot of installers squeege water but if a bit is left here and there they rely on heat and the sun to dry it out. With safety and security film especially you have got to ensure that as much as possible is pushed out. I have installed thousands of sq ft of these films and I HIGHLY recommend several passes with a Thor's hammer squeege. Step back look at the film at different angles from the inside and out and you should be good to go.

Archived