filing tools?

may I ask why you want to start filing?  see your pretty new at this, filing is a nice upsell to add a few bucks to the ticket and usually for advanced tinters with few years experience.  some use an olfa, grinding the tip round helps and others use various files or plastic olfa to avoid damaging the film.  I did try it,  the extra time required for what was charged did not add up.  under a 1/4 inch is acceptable in this market and personal pride keeps my edges very tight.  I refer to it as the unshaven shave.  the top of most car door windows are round.  the trick is maintaining the same angle with your olfa all the way across the window.  in my vids you can see my body move as I cut, not my arm.  when I cut the sides, I go about an 1/8 into front and rear.  the top should now perfectly match the window with almost zero gap.  if it does not, film is not in the right position.  little geometry comprehension helps.   for a good smooth cut, hold knife perpendicular to the glass, angle about 30 degrees forward and back of knife up 10 degrees.  light pressure to stay on window.   if the first pass is rough, angle knife down 20-30 degrees and you can shave another 1/16 off (round top)

couple vids on youtube to see the process

Rob Forbes

Archived