Need tint recommendation for our Teslas

Guest SanDiegoTeslaClub

Guest SanDiegoTeslaClub

As founder of the San Diego Tesla Club, I have taken the lead in accessorizing our new Tesla Ss.

Many of us have now wrapped our Teslas with Xpel ppf and the next step to preserving our cars is window tinting.

We have about 18 members who are interested. It is my job to make a recommendation and I've narrowed my choices to two:

1. Formula One Pinnacle from a shop 20 miles from most members.

2. Llumar CTX from a mobile installer, who will do 4 cars at one location per day.

Both have offered us very good prices.

Is one better for our Teslas? Which would you recommend and why?

Thank you.

P.S. I do believe 3M Crystalline is better than either of these, but it's price point is more than most members want to pay.

Both products perform similarly; Pinnacle compared to Crystalline has very similar TSER to the extent that one or two percentage points under this parameter is insgnificant when in a car. Crystalline is understood to have a color coated scratch resistent coating and Pinnacle is a separate deep-dye laminate layer of polyester to a ceramic coated layer of polyester, with the industry's toughest scratch coat.

The maker of Pinnacle (now Eastman Chemical Company is the world's largest manufacturer of window film and window film components used by other brand names) still hold the patents on the deep-dye process and is known throughout the film industry for this capability. Eastman makes all components for their brand name products in house except the polyester, which is bought from the number one maker of quality polyester in the world. They can control all aspects of film quality during production, works closely with their polyester supplier to obtain only the highest quality substrate as their base film, and this is not something that can be said about competitive products who have their products farmed out.

Do not get caught up in a 97% infrared rejection number at 940-950 nanometers in wavelength; it is one of the weakest and lowest intensity of iinfrared energy coming from the sun. That said; rejecting 97% of low intensity energy from the sun isn't saying much for film product performance. Please compare TSER numbers to know the true and more accurate measure of a film products ability to screen all the sun's energy.

Buy Pinnacle, which has a transferrable warranty (to my knowledge) that goes with the car first time it's sold to another person. :thumb

Guest SanDiegoTeslaClub

Thanks to everyone. I appreciate all the suggestions.

We decided to go with Formula One Pinnacle. Surprisingly, a lot of people also want the panoramic roof tinted, even though it's very dark now.

I can't see it, but if that's what they want...

For those who want it, we'll also go with Air Blue 80 on the front windshield, unless anyone has better suggestion for the front windshield.

Both products perform similarly; Pinnacle compared to Crystalline has very similar TSER to the extent that one or two percentage points under this parameter is insgnificant when in a car. Crystalline is understood to have a color coated scratch resistent coating and Pinnacle is a separate deep-dye laminate layer of polyester to a ceramic coated layer of polyester, with the industry's toughest scratch coat.

The maker of Pinnacle (now Eastman Chemical Company is the world's largest manufacturer of window film and window film components used by other brand names) still hold the patents on the deep-dye process and is known throughout the film industry for this capability. Eastman makes all components for their brand name products in house except the polyester, which is bought from the number one maker of quality polyester in the world. They can control all aspects of film quality during production, works closely with their polyester supplier to obtain only the highest quality substrate as their base film, and this is not something that can be said about competitive products who have their products farmed out.

With the exception of Garware, Global films right?

Guest SanDiegoTeslaClub

In all honesty, I didn't choose Huper Optik X-treme because someone made a comment that it may not install properly on the Tesla's rear windshield.

It may have had to do with the thickness of the film, not sure.

Also, I don't know of anyone in the San Diego area that offers Huper. But it does seem to have very good TSER numbers.

Archived