A letter to Rep. Dave Hickernell

Guest SSC

My name is Carrie Snyder. I am a resident and business operator in Elizabethtown, Lancaster County, PA.

I'm researching House Bill 2257, which pertains to vehicle sun screening, also known as window tinting. The latest information I have been able to locate about this bill indicated it was referred to the Transportation Committee on December 15 of 2003.

After contacting your office, an assistant returned my call to inform me that the police opposed this bill and as such it will "never go anywhere because the police need to be able to see inside vehicles for their safety."

For the record, I?m very interested in seeing any bill that allows a certain level of window tinting pass. In hearing that the bill has stalled for a year because of police disapproval, I was offended and confused. My thought process was this: "The police don't want it? What about what the rest of the population wants?"

There?s an apparent common misconception among legislators and law enforcement in Pennsylvania that all tinted windows are ?limo-black,? and any window tint at all makes it impossible or very difficult to view the interior of the car. The fact is, tinted windows do not need to be black, and most of the general population does not want black windows.

How do I know what the population wants? My business is window tinting. Automotive window tinting in Pennsylvania is like selling bikinis in Bahrain. But unlike bikinis in Bahrain, window tinting provides benefits to health, safety in the event of an accident, comfort, and longevity of personal property. The interior door panels of my (untinted) personal car are blistered, faded and cracked from the sun. Just think: that's happening to your skin, too! Pull-down perforated shades do not protect a child in the back seat from the sun's harmful UV rays, but a window film with a much as 40% Visible Light Transmittance will block 99% of UV, provide an interior shading effect, and is practically invisible from the outside under most lighting conditions. Unfortunately, even this light shade of tint is currently illegal in Pennsylvania.

SUVs, minivans & pickups come from the factory with darkened glass, but this darkened glass provides no UV protection. Owners of these vehicles can correct this because they are allowed to have a film fitted with no regulation for the amount of visible light transmitted. What do the state police do when they pull over one of these vehicles, and what makes common sedans and wagons more dangerous that they cannot have the same regulations? Do the state police really cower in fear of... a minivan?

Please, let's not let the police make the laws.

My customers are not gangsters, criminals, or even miscreant teenagers. They are parents, truck drivers, and everyday people who care about their car & the property they carry within it. 44 states allow tinting at 35% net VLT (Visible Light Transmittance) on side windows & the rear glass. This is a common level of tint requested locally. Typical factory darkened glass on the MPV?s (SUV?s, pickups and minivans) that are allowed dark glass is much darker, commonly around 20% VLT. The point being, most consumers don?t want glass very dark at all. MPV glass is darker than necessary, and often darker than desired. Our shop has removed dark tint installed in southern states (where dark tint is legal), sometimes not because the customer was cited, but because they didn?t like how dark it was, and would rather have a lighter level of tinting installed.

Unfortunately, my job often requires more consumer education than I would generally like. I don't like not being able to provide a service (with so many obvious benefits) that is requested of my business.

I am aware this year is nearly finished, and I don't expect activity on this bill at this point. I wanted to disclose just a few reasons to support window tinting in Pennsylvania, because they are valid concerns no matter what time of year. January is a new year. I strongly support any bill that allows window tinting, because this would allow trained, professional installers to make the safe choice that fits the customer?s needs.

If anyone in your office, or any of your fellow representatives would like an in-person example of what a tinted vehicle looks like - to any degree - my shop will be happy to supply this service as well as a light meter, to assist in your consideration.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Carrie Snyder

Business Manager,

Susquehanna Solar Control

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carrie, I agree 100% with what your letter said, my brother who had 50% on the fronts & 35% on the back got pulled over :thumb in the phila suburbs area just a few days ago. He has a medical exemption form(eye problems) that we all thought allows clear film in Pa, the cop still gave him a fix it ticket(5days to take the tint off & go to the station to get it inspected or he will get a ticket), the cop didn't want to honor the form(he told my brother the 35% in the back was too dark :lol: ) :dunno , my brother called the DMV & they told him it's still the officers discretion to honor the form or not, but 50% on the fronts are like having no tint & 35% is barely noticeable. I just hope we get something passed in our beloved state. :lol

Guest Sprinter

yes nice letter!

could'nt agree more with you sliderred on it's up to the cop to decide if its too dark or not, bet if you had a hott sister she would'nt be going to court but to dinner with the cop!

Guest Tint Masters
Carrie, I agree 100% with what your letter said, my brother who had 50% on the fronts & 35% on the back got pulled over :dance  in the phila suburbs area just a few days ago. He has a medical exemption form(eye problems) that we all thought allows clear film in Pa, the cop still gave him a fix it ticket(5days to take the tint off & go to the station to get it inspected or he will get a ticket), the cop didn't want to honor the form(he told my brother the 35% in the back was too dark :lol: )  :lol , my brother called the DMV & they told him it's still the officers discretion to honor the form or not, but 50% on the fronts are like having no tint & 35% is barely noticeable. I just hope we get something passed in our beloved state. :beer

[*]227120

:copcar:beer:dunno:thumb:lol

Up to the cop? :beer So why pass laws? Lets just ask a cop what he thinks? :wall

I have that same problem here, one cop says its ok to have darker than legal and the other will just write the ticket :lol

Mabe we can open some eyes :cooldot

Guest L.L.Tint
A squeeky wheel gets noticed. Get enough wheels squeeking, things do happen.

[*]226961

:popcorn Nice to see someone take the initiative to write a letter to try and motivate these people to think alittle bit.

Archived