Lexus GX470 w/ Suntek Carbon 35% - green?

Guest sma

Guys, Great forum. I have read a lot on this and the "general" section. I'm a consumer with a 2006 Lexus GX470 SUV. Did a lot of reading of what tint to get on my front two door windows to closely match the factory smoked glass. I'm in FL so I stuck with 35%. Originally was looking for 3M CS 35% but the tint shop I went to (who advertises having 3M) says they stopped using 3M CS due to the lifting they were getting near tight window seals on some cars. They moved to Suntek Carbon... so I did some research on that and most showed they liked it.

So I had them do the front two window with Suntek Carbon 35%. Those front windows now seem very green when looking through them. I have read the other posts here (the Murano thread and the others) and I understand that this sometimes happens because some car companies use Green tinted glass.

I checked the tint roll box just before the guy took it out of the box and it said "Suntek Carbon 35%"... he did have another box of Suntek HP 30% that I was making sure I did not get (I've heard this one looks more green).

Few questions:

1) anyone know of Lexus uses this green tinted glass on the GX470? I did not check before tinting (with white piece of paper) and can't roll my windows down yet to look near the edge.

2) I see plenty of GX's driving around that don't appear to have this green shade to the front door tinted windows. Is this because my tinting is only 35% where a darker tint might not show the green as much?

3) Or is it possible that another brand of tint would not look as green and match the factory rears better? Would 3M CS 35% have been better? How about Johnson Greystone 30%? Is there anything that would work better at @ 35% and hide the green if indeed the Lexus uses green tinted glass?

4) Has anyone used this combo of Suntek Carbon 35% on the fronts of a Lexus or Toyota SUV and also found that combo to look green?

Thanks guys!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the glass looks to have a green hue to it igf I remember correctly..there is not much you can do to get rid of that using a lighter tint like 35%...even going darker(which is not recommended becuz it illegal) may not get rid of it.

on toyotas and lexus' I use johnson greystone rather than the carbon. less green IMO. I had a woman come back complaining about her sequoia looking so green. I changed 'em to the greystone and they matched up much better than the carbon did.

on toyotas and lexus' I use johnson greystone rather than the carbon. less green IMO. I had a woman come back complaining about her sequoia looking so green. I changed 'em to the greystone and they matched up much better than the carbon did.

Thanks that is helpful to know (as were previous posts). Does the greystone comment apply to the 30% too or just lower percentage VLT's?

Archived