need pdr advice

Guest boxman

I would like some of your opinions on pdr training. Before I found this site I was negotiating w/Paint Bull. It is alot of money but I like the package they offer. I have no experience in this area and from what I am reading of other posts, the tools aren't that great and the training is enough to make me dangerous. I want a well rounded business and thought it would be a good start but lay off performing pdr until I went to a junk yard or lil mom n pop car lot to practice before going into it. I'd like some opinions. thanks :bling

Guest Express Dent

Paint Bull is no better or worse than the other companies out there offering multi train services. You will get the "basic"from any of them. Paint repair at least as far as chip repair can be learned in a day, seriously. Spot or bumper repair can only be learned with time. PB will give you the instructions and you will need to get a door or bumper and start painting and painting again. Individual skill will come into play but not until you have the technique down pat.

PDR is much the same but on another difficulty level, some people just cant learn or dont have the patients for PDR.

I can have someone performing chip repair with in the week, doing bumper or spot repair in about a month and a half to two months. PDR with billable results in three. Each of those are getting daily work and instruction.

Paint Bull if I remember is 2 weeks for multiple training. If you realize that you are going to get a very basic start and will need to go home and work your tail off to be able to produce consistent, billable results you have the right attitude to get into the business. The only real problem I have with the "jack-of-all-trades" facilities is that it is easy to become confused and not grasp any one trade.

My suggestion would be to learn what your area has the most potential for. Get a start in one area build a customer or dealer base and move on from there.

Dont let any company feed you a line of BS as to what tools the "pros" use, Ive never seen a set from one of these places that was worth a fraction of what they claim.

I appreciate the input. I just need to do a lot of research before making a move. I feel these tool kits are like buying a variety kit of nuts & bolts. I only need a few but have to pay for a ton of excess crap. I currently work in aviation and I have a lot of tools for that but only consistantly use a handful.

What is the best way to research the local market? Just go talk to potential customers? Thanks again for the input.

Guest Express Dent

Ask around at your local dealerships. If you have a buddy at a dealer get them to ask the GM or one of the managers for some info...are they happy with their service? are they getting serviced regularly? price...anything will help. Look in the phone book, it should be pretty easy to find out what is happening in the local market. Dent Wizard is bound to be in the area call for an estimate and pump the person for info.

Guest kccartint

The best trainning you can get is from a tech. I would start at www.doording.com and put a thread up that your looking for a local trainer and should get some response. I went to a school and it was okay but learned much more hooking up with a veteran tech afterwords. You will learn alot more with someone one on one and will get a unbias oppinion on tools.

Archived