V-kool corrosion

Bds,

That's the top of a Subaru Impreza 98 model rear wind-down.

I've seen that on flat glass too........it's as if the blade, when cutting the film, reacts with the structure of the composition and causes tint cancer.

I'll get you a photo of a huge car dealership showroom glass which has VK laminated in the glass and the holes cut out to pin the glass show the exact same oddity.

Eeeeek.

Devil

[*]220962

Key words there, devil... silver is a highly corrosive metal same as copper... cutting the film can cause shredded edge on a microscopic level opening up the multi-layered construction and exposing the (silver) metal stack to the elements.

Where you see no corrosion in the posted pic is where the film material was cleanly cut. Very important to be aware of blade sharpness and pressure against the material while cutting.

Yes there is a way to install these type films without sealing edges... no I will not reveal the 'how to' at this moment... :gasp

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you know what the looks like?

when you install it and move it around it sometimes wants to stick to early? then you force it and move it and it leaves that mark. but I dont know it seems to big of a mark. if you having way to many problems with it then dont use that material. I've never mexperienced that with any film, even cheap fader film or non HP films. :gasp

V-Kool let us know that after we did a  30,000 dollar job with solis on a beach house in Corna Del Mar, CA and four months later all the window in the house corroded.

[*]221231

Wow! I bet you were thrilled to the back teeth about that Pro. That's all you need to be told once it's on the glass.

Forgive me re the photo. It was my customer who took the shot at close up magnification for you guys so I could show you what it had done.

Metint......a sample I installed of VK on a piece of glass about 6" square showed not only some of the edges corroding but also areas central to the glass sample which were no way near a blade. So partly your statement could be deemed to be not entirely correct IMHO.

This glass sample had very little solar exposure as it has been retained within my workshop so I guess it's "just one of those gremlins."

Devil

Guest Tintbds-

About four year back I did a flat glass job on a laundry-mat building.

Big job it was, about 150ft glass front 20+ panels reflective silver Solux film. The finish was sweet!!.

However, in 6 weeks the director called, he said one of the panels changed colour.

Do you believe that out of those 20+ panels, one panel just turn over night from ( R/silver to Reflective gold ) the tint was still perfect but GOLD.

Guest what ? The director said he liked it because it was by his office.

When ever I past the building I look at it. Amazing!! :krazy

V-Kool let us know that after we did a? 30,000 dollar job with solis on a beach house in Corna Del Mar, CA and four months later all the window in the house corroded.

[*]221231

Wow! I bet you were thrilled to the back teeth about that Pro. That's all you need to be told once it's on the glass.

Forgive me re the photo. It was my customer who took the shot at close up magnification for you guys so I could show you what it had done.

Metint......a sample I installed of VK on a piece of glass about 6" square showed not only some of the edges corroding but also areas central to the glass sample which were no way near a blade. So partly your statement could be deemed to be not entirely correct IMHO.

This glass sample had very little solar exposure as it has been retained within my workshop so I guess it's "just one of those gremlins."

Devil

[*]221273

Ever see fine silver tea set tarnish? Just needs be exposed to air to begin...

As to the interior corroding with no blade exposure, too. Was any internal corrosion connected in any way to corrosion along the edge? It can migrate through and through given time... IMHO :thumb

But hey :thumb would I rather be right or would I rather be happy?

Happy happy go I... :lol

Guest tintslut
Ever see fine silver tea set tarnish? Just needs be exposed to air to begin...

your not suggesting we use TARN-X on silver ion films ? are you ? :krazy

silver may be a good insulating compound, but we try to discourage application of silver ion

films whenever possible.

Guest Tintbds-
how did that happen?

let me guess, corrosion?

[*]221276

:eyebrows No corrision! the tint is perfectly clear but all from the same roll one panel turn Gold, it looks great.

I thought only spiderman was amazing. :thumb Quess not :thumb

One of these day I'll go and take a photo.

Archived