level-4

a glass company contacted me earlier today wants a 16 mil level 4 anybody have any imput on what type film I can use and it has to be a vlt of 85 and solar reject of 22%.? itis only about 60 sqft of glass..

[*]256192

The film specs given translate into clear safety 16 mil thick... can't understand the Level 4 unless they are referring to GSA Blast Mitigation Standards. :whisper

Level 4 GSA rating refers to glass fragments found at the wall opposite the glass from the floor up a couple of feet as a result of violent glass failure such as blast. I believe...

Level 4 GSA rating refers to glass fragments found at the wall opposite the glass from the floor up a couple of feet as a result of violent glass failure such as blast. I believe...

[*]256248

:thumb

Criteria Protection

Level Hazard

Level Description of Window Glazing Response

1 Safe none Glazing does not break. No visible damage to glazing or frame.

2 Very High none Glazing cracks but is retained by the frame. Dusting or very small fragments near sill or on floor acceptable.

3a High Very Low Glazing cracks. Fragments enter space and land on floor no further than 3.3 ft. from the window.

3b High Low Glazing crack. Fragments enter space and land on floor no further than 10 ft. from the window.

4 Medium Medium Glazing cracks. Fragments enter space and land on floor and impact a vertical witness panel at a distance of no more than 10 ft. from the window at a height no greater than 2 ft. above the floor.

5 Low High Glazing cracks and window system fails catastrophically. Fragments enter space impacting a vertical witness panel at a distance of no more than 10 ft. from the window at a height greater than 2 ft. above the floor.

post-33-1107829044.gif

Guest TintPoser
Shiot...16mill...might as well put up plywood or glass block and be done with it. :thumb

[*]256353

More than likely, the speck was provided by some facilities manager that talked to some "Know it al"l on the phone. Level 4 is definately not an american standard. A Performance level would have been listed as such: GSA Performance 2a at (Insert Presure Standard Here)

Give em an 8 mil. If it is just 60 Square feet, and you don't have safety film, walk away.

More than likely, the speck was provided by some facilities manager that talked to some "Know it al"l on the phone

Ya think? :inot

[*]256362

Narrow down who sells 16 mil and you are a step or two closer to the know-it-all... :beer

I figured you were going to be the first post. you seem to really know your shizzle.

I thought the level 4 may have something to do with the attachments.

[*]256267

You'll may need an attachment to achieve 'level 4'... :beer

It's all relative...

To size...

If level 4 is attained with 16 mil window film attached to 'a' frame and is subjected to a blast of (Insert Pressure Standard Here) the rating is only good for the glazing system used for the test.

Even then, someone can come along with a bigger widget that provides (Insert Pressure Standard Here) and you'll find the product provided might not live up to level 4 during the event.

All safety film and attachments are to provide is that leap of faith to the purchaser; a kind of false sense of security. It does not guarantee performance on any glazing save the one already tested.

Oh and ah, no one like a know-it-all... so that I am not. Having said that, I'm not in high school anymore so the popularity contests have long since vanished. :hmmm :inot

Archived