Paint sealant

Guest Express Dent

Guest Express Dent

During a sales pitch with a potential new dealer I was asked about the effects of their current "paint sealant" with a PPF film. I dont have the specifics of their product but the bottom line is the customer brings the car back every 6 months for the sealant......Im sure you all have heard the routine. It is supposed to prevent damage from acid rain and so on and so on. Im guessing its no different than what the other dealers are offering as a one time "miracle wax" and they have found a way to get the customer back to the dealer.

Are there products or treatments out there that I need to be on the lookout for? Anything that shouldnt be applied to the film other than the basics? I havent heard the acid rain concerns in a while and this dealer got me a little off guard. Has anyone ever seen PPF damaged by acid rain or can it?

We do work for a group of dealers that love to sell paint sealant. I think it is a bit of a scam but the product that they use is actually pretty good. We make sure that the sealant is applied after we put on PPF. Occasionally the sealant has already been applied before we get the car and it takes a long time prep the car. Regular adhesive remover wont remove the sealant so we wash the front end with fallout gel and then clay it.

If you end up doing work with this dealer make sure they understand that you get to do your work before they seal the car or the process takes longer.

Another note -Ifind it harder to sell PPF at these dealerships because there customers already think that there car is "protected". They charge $400 to seal the car and people are hesitant to spend more then on PPF

Has anyone ever seen PPF damaged by acid rain or can it?

Yes it can. I have seen film get acid rain spots but I don't know what kind it was. Plus I think it depends on the color of the car too, dark colors will show acid rain easier than say yellow.

It does protect the paint from acid rain though.

Guest Express Dent

Thanks for the input, I hadnt concidered needing a more thorough prep on a car the sealant has been applied to. I have a prep that is used before we would do a paint repair to a car its a standard body shop prep solution. Would you concider this to be an adequate enough prep? I have yet to run into a situatuion where the install was compromised by my prep so Im not sure what I would even be looking for. I dont know what the chemical difference between an adhesive remover or the auto prep I use would be, I've always had success with this prep for our paint repairs so just continued to use it for PPF prep.

Any thoughts?????

The sealant that they usr arouond here is called TST. I talked to their rep and he suggested using fallout gel, which is a mild acid that we use sometimes in detailing cars. The sealant does soak into the paint some and it can be hard to even get a pinstripe to stick if the sealant has been freshly applied.