03 beetle.

Guest jtp0711

Guest jtp0711

Hello everyone,

I did my first bug today and although the quarter glass was pretty easy the back was bad! We tried to due one piece shrink but could not pull it off. We ended up doing it two piece and it came out really nice. Can anyone out there due it one piece?? Did you shrink it wet or dry? Also how hard due you think a 94 Chrysler SHT (I think thats the model?) is? Man that car was a pain. Had big trouble with the back glass even though it was only about 18inches tall it was rough! Let me know what you guys think. Blade can you email me I have a question about your custom work...

Thanks all1

Once you figure out how to do it, it's a very doable one piece, but alot of times it's a dirty fight to the end. Be patient with the film, stop and let it cool and you can get a little more shrink out of it. Heat the entire quadrant over (dry shrink) and get as much shrink as you can out of it that way, then work the quadrant over like you would a normal shrink, tug on the film on the top and bottom while shrinking to encourage it to go where you want it to. Leave yourself a ton of extra film hanging on the top and bottom incase you heat crease a corner so you can move the film around.

1 piecing a beetle basically takes the film to it's limits shrinking wise, so there is not a lot of room for mistakes, but it's very doable.

There is nothing wrong with seaming a back window on a car like that...there is no reason to waste film just to 1 piece it. Try it once, if it doesn't go your way, splice it and be done with it.

Guest Guest
There is nothing wrong with seaming a back window on a car like that...there is no reason to waste film just to 1 piece it.  Try it once, if it doesn't go your way, splice it and be done with it.

[*]297008

:DD

Beetles have a 2-3 inch dot matrix, too. Black this area out with a 2 mil, interior application, high performance vinyl and you'll have a short film piece to shrink, making the job much easier.

If it's a Turbo Beetle, the glass is already a couple inches shorter than the standard model.

Guest Paradise tinter
Once you figure out how to do it, it's a very doable one piece, but alot of times it's a dirty fight to the end.  Be patient with the film, stop and let it cool and you can get a little more shrink out of it.  Heat the entire quadrant over (dry shrink) and get as much shrink as you can out of it that way, then work the quadrant over like you would a normal shrink, tug on the film on the top and bottom while shrinking to encourage it to go where you want it to.  Leave yourself a ton of extra film hanging on the top and bottom incase you heat crease a corner so you can move the film around. 

1 piecing a beetle basically takes the film to it's limits shrinking wise, so there is not a lot of room for mistakes, but it's very doable.

There is nothing wrong with seaming a back window on a car like that...there is no reason to waste film just to 1 piece it.  Try it once, if it doesn't go your way, splice it and be done with it.

[*]297008

Awesome advice. Wish I could see one done in person... thanks all

Guest naughtydog

I did my first beetle last week, it was a difficult one piece shrink, and I had a few fingers in the matrix which I had to persuade to lie down...but I got there in the end.

All windows need shrinking on thiis sucker...

The finshed article is here

Naughty

Archived