tinting a 300zx (1990)

Guest Guest_john_*

Guest Guest_john_*

hello, I was going to try tinting my 300zx (1990, the newer ones). I was wonderig if you guys had any suggestions as to how to do the rear glass. also, what specific brands of tint are good? is gila any good? I have to remove the crap that the guy before me did, and I figure if I mess up im only out $40 or so. I have a lot of the tools, as well as a heat gvn and was wondering specifically if you would wet or dry shrink the back window. please dont contribute if you are going to tell me to have it done profesionally, I know that I have that option, but I would like to try it myself. if it doesnt work out, im the one thats fvcked and not you guys, so helpful advice only please. also, I have read most of this site, and cant find anything specific to my car, so any specific techniques on problem areas you found when doing this type of car are greatly appreciated. thanks.

we all have different favorites & methods that we developed through experience. the only way to find out what works for you is through experience.

What you, as a novice, consider a problem area is old hat to most of us. therefore, I suggest you look at tinting techniques for novices that apply to all cars.

are you patient?

Guest shadetree

I would dry shrink the back glass, but believe me, you will need to practice. And you WILL waste film on practicing the shrink, and more film on practicing the install.

A good shrink will only come from quality film, not Gila. If you want to practice and have the patience, purchase a roll of quality film from one of the sponsor sites.

Go slow with the shrink, and don't get discouraged when you throw out piece after piece.

:thumb

Guest Guest_john_*

thanks for your replies. I know it will be time consuming, but thats okay. I am pretty patient, and especially tedious/meticulous when working on my cars. if gila tint sucks, what brand do you guys prefer? also I forgot to ask before: when you tint a window, can you tell right away/ in the curing stage if its going to bubble or look like @#$%? or is that something that takes a while to show up? thanks again for all your help.

the reason I am trying this myself is that I had my other car (a '95 maxima) professionally tinted for $250 and it was good, but on the outside of the rear window, it looks like they cut out a 1'' border to put back there, like they made the inside film too small. they have a lifetime warranty, but I h@te people who pick apart services recieved to try and get crap for free, and I doubt I would ever make them honor it for that. I just want to give it a try myself, I know it will be very difficult, if I even succeed, but I enjoy the satisfaction of doing something well. thanks again.

If you use a high quality film, you'll know right away whether it's good or bad. You will have a day to wait for it to dry, but the practiced eye can see contamination before the film dries. Remember, after the film dries, the contamination will be a lot easier to see from the outside of the window.

Guest Guest

exact-oh, what brand of tint do you like? I checked the site sponsors up top but not too thoroughly yet. they seem to be geared towards tint shops, not individuals. thanks for your help

it's really unfortunate that one bad tinting experience could sour the industry for you. had you seen their work before you scheduled your car?

you'll be able to tell pretty quickly how good/bad of a job you did.

the adhesive failure bubbles from crap film show up much later, but that's not a reflection on your tinting ability.

please don't ask about brand. we all have our favorites. furthermore, every brand has different lines with different quality/performance/price levels. maybe you could try to buy some pro-grade from a tint shop. practice a bit with the gila first, though.

where do you live?

a hint. use /lots/ of slip solution. I don't mean make a high concentration, I mean when you go to install, HOSE down your windows with it. not literally with a hose, but just soak it with the sprayer. soak the tint, too. it'll help with keeping contamination down.

I have installed a bunch of brands of professional window films in my time. Anything that you can purchase on a retail level (like Gila) will not be a high quality film. Go to a professional shop and ask to purchase film from them. If they are a reputable shop, offer warranties on their work, and are willing to sell film over-the-counter, they should have a high quality film on their shelf. All us professional tinters have opinions on all professional films. I do not want to start a controversy here.

Archived