Champagne Unavoidable?

Guest wftech

Well, "that's the way it is" is nothing but bull, I mean a poor reply from your rep. I can tell you that it is possible to even install 15 mil without the champagne bubbles. It is the tool, the power and the technique to make sure that the power you put into the tool sufficiently ends up at the glass. Having enough slip also plays a role.I am not saying it is easy but definitely possible. Manufacturer may make a difference - I am not aware of it.

The problem is simply left over foam. And you don't have a second chance of removing it because on the second squeegee stroke there is not enough water left to carry away the bubbles.

For the 15mil film you would need at least a second installer to hold the film in place while you squeegee. Windows where there is no way of supplying means to get the needed leverage can't be succesfully filmed.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the 15mil film you would need at least a second installer to hold the film in place while you squeegee. 

[*]319657

:nope Five foot by five foot piece of 15 mil weighed in around three pounds on the UPS scale.

Guest Sun Safe
Need some advice from you experienced 8 mil installers out there. No matter what techniques we try, and we've read everyone's suggestions here and of course from our rep, we can't get the stuff to go on without at least a little champagne bubbling or streaking here and there. Our rep is saying with the 8 mil it's just a fact of life that is unavoidable. Is anyone out there getting this stuff to go on clean? If so is it just the brand I'm using? Are particular brands of security film known to have this problem more so than others? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Wftech

[*]309324

Most installers try to put up 8mil and above by cutting the film excess in place just like on 2 mil films. I have noticed that this isn't the best way. I have found that if you precut the film, "throw a sheet up in on the window, liner facing outside, cut the sides or trim, then remove from window". Now squeegee the window one more time for preperation. Now install the film "Postage Stamp Style". You will find that by having the film lay completly flat it greatly reduces the chances of smearing bubbles as mentioned. I believe the number one problem is the film liftinging off the glass when cutting the excess film. You will notice that most bubble problems are close to the edges, not the middle of the window usually.

Chris

Guest VOLTRON

one thing that I noticed last time I installed 8 mil ( because before I had the same thing with the bubbles and champagning) is one to precut like sun said and another is to wet both the film and the window. Last time I did an 8 mil job I took a partner with me and we precut everything and then one of us would hold the film while the other peeled the liner and wet the adhesive and then sprayed the window. I didnt notice hardly any bubbles or champaigning. I am going back to this location in a few weeks and will respond back as to what it looks like.

But I think the most important things are to

1: precut the film like sun said

2: to wet both the film and the window

Sucks because you have to have 2 people there to do it but it makes for a lot less work for one person and the windows come out looking alot better.

I also made 3 passes over the film when pushing the water out.

stop being so limp wristed, but its unavoidable but something reasonable I think :eyebrows window film is window film so when its fresh, is going to look bubbly, but if youre going to be careless and not squeege out the water enough times, then your bound for nightmares.

someone else says it depends on what film/brand your using, I wont name brands, but some films out there have an adhesive that dry's to quick (its not bad) so by the time those champagne bubbles start to go away, they're not gonna, the adhesive is already dry and no way no how they're going away.

I've tried fixing champagne bubbles with widnows that other companies have done, I try giving them a "pinch" with your olfa blade, sometimes that helps, the excess water comes right out, but that sometimes leaves a round line or mark where the bubble has been, depending on how long.

cant we all just put 4mil? :eyebrows:krazy

Guest VOLTRON

:bingo I was just joking with that remark. It means absolutly nothing.lol

yea you can pinch or pop some of those water spots and get all the water out of them.

When I went to that safty shield training they really pushed wetting the film and the glass but most importantly the film.

From what he explained (and I didnt really get all he was saying cause I was reading about some other part in the manual) where the adhesive is dry you will get air bubbles in the adhesive and thats where that champaining comes from.

Archived