Getting ready to tint

Guest BigBlockElectra

Guest BigBlockElectra

I am almost ready to tint my Buick. I think it is a good car to start on because it is big and should be easy to work on. The windows are all "one piece" meaning there is no partition on the rear door glass between the part that rolls down and a stationary part: it all rolls down.

1. I can easily remove the door panels, but what is the purpose of doing this when putting the tint on? Is it so the felt seals don't peel the tint back when I roll the window down?

3. Is it easiest to tint with the doors open working outside of the car, (in a garage of course) or do you recommend sitting in the car with the door shut.

4. How do you get such an accurate precise line around the edges of the window? Do you all use paper patterns then cut out a precise shape of the window?

5. You guys sometimes recommend removing the package tray. Do you just take off the top part, or do you remove rear speakers and the metalwork that crosses between the sides of the car, meaning a big open gap?

6. Where can I get good film? I'm in Washington and Shucks only had Gila.

Guest shadetree
I am almost ready to tint my Buick.  I think it is a good car to start on because it is big and should be easy to work on.  The windows are all "one piece" meaning there is no partition on the rear door glass between the part that rolls down and a stationary part: it all rolls down.   

1.  I can easily remove the door panels, but what is the purpose of doing this when putting the tint on?  Is it so the felt seals don't peel the tint back when I roll the window down?

3.  Is it easiest to tint with the doors open working outside of the car, (in a garage of course) or do you recommend sitting in the car with the door shut.

4.  How do you get such an accurate precise line around the edges of the window?  Do you all use paper patterns then cut out a precise shape of the window?

5.  You guys sometimes recommend removing the package tray.  Do you just take off the top part, or do you remove rear speakers and the metalwork that crosses between the sides of the car, meaning a big open gap? 

6.  Where can I get good film?  I'm in Washington and Shucks only had Gila.

[*]327223

1. Removing the panels or the seals give you room at the bottom of the glass so you can apply the film, starting at the bottom with the window slightly rolled down (1" or so). Seals go back in after you're done and the film edge is well below them.

2. Okay 3

3. Doors open

4. I use a brand new blade. Let the film dry for a bit with windows down a bit. Run the blade along the top inside edge holding a steady angle. This takes a lot of practice. a lot

5. Only if you have to. If you can see all your edges, you can get away without removing the rear deck. Depends on the car.

6. If you planning on pursuing this field. It's best to buy a long roll of film to practice with. Look online if you can't find anything near you. It will cost you at first, but practice, practice is the only way to get better.

:spit

Archived