Residue from a double tint..

Guest EcL1pZ

Hey, I had ad ouble tint on my rear glass, 20 %'s. I pulled off one layer of 20% within a day and a half or so. Came off ok,but at night when lights hit my rear glass I see it all foggy, so I am guessing that there is a lot of that stuff left over on the 1st layer of tint. My question is, whats the best way to remove that resiude FROM a tint.. (I was lookin around forums, saw stuff for removing from glass, but this is the stuff on the tint itself)

Thanks

Good luck.  You have a layer of glue on the remaining tint and any solvent you use to remove it will most likely damage the existing film.  Best bet is to remove all film and start over.

[*]335730

Well, before dealing with removing the tint off that rear glass, and whole long time it takes.. any particular solvent (particular base?) that I should use.. or it doesn't matter?

A lot of people use a lot of different solvents here. I basically just use an aresol ammonia based foaming glass cleaner. I spray it on the glass, let it foam up for a few minutes, then use a scrub pad on the glue. This works on plain glass, but it will probably damage the film.

A lot of people use a lot of different solvents here.  I basically just use an aresol ammonia based foaming glass cleaner.  I spray it on the glass, let it foam up for a few minutes, then use a scrub pad on the glue.  This works on plain glass, but it will probably damage the film.

[*]335738

Alright, thanks for the help. I'll give it a try.. if anything I mess up the film and I replace it, which I would have to do anyway.. cause it is a pretty annoying problem to see at night when lights hit my glass :/

A lot of people use a lot of different solvents here.? I basically just use an aresol ammonia based foaming glass cleaner.? I spray it on the glass, let it foam up for a few minutes, then use a scrub pad on the glue.? This works on plain glass, but it will probably damage the film.

[*]335738

Alright, thanks for the help. I'll give it a try.. if anything I mess up the film and I replace it, which I would have to do anyway.. cause it is a pretty annoying problem to see at night when lights hit my glass :/

[*]335744

well thats done... Now I have to wait for night to see if it made a difference...

You may very well have marred the scratch resistant coating of the first layer of film and it is only apparent when lights shine on the glass after dark... or... you have delaminated one film layer's construction and now have exposed laminating adhesive as a surface. Something not easily cleaned away...

Or it could be as simple as the above posts have stated.

Archived