Interior Wall Film ? Inside or Outside Surface?

Guest jjnet

We have a 34 foot long by 7.5 foot wide sunroom facing due south with 350 sq ft of untinted double-pane, 50 of which is a slanted skylight. This room is separated from the main living space by an interior wall with 200 sq ft of untinted single-pane. Great for passive solar heat, not great for too much solar gain when we don?t need it (elevation 7500 feet, SW Colorado).

We?re planning on putting motorized exterior shades on all the exterior vertical glass. This is the only way we can get maximum and adjustable solar heat control, including completely raising the shade for heat on partly cloudy winter days.

We?re planning to have film applied to the interior wall single pane to protect furnishings in the living area. The current favorite in film selection is Madico SB 341 Bronze (40% visible light transmitted, .34 solar heat gain coefficient).

Is there any reason to consider putting the film on the sun room (outer) side as opposed to the living area (inner) side of the interior glass? Is there any reason why this film might be a poor choice for this purpose?

We can?t put an exterior shade on the slanted skylight because of snow issues. But we can put an interior motorized shade on it. This will obviously not block as much heat as a window film, but has the advantage of being removable for full solar gain when needed.

How much better would a film like the SB 341 be at blocking heat than an interior shade? If the difference is substantial, we could probably get by without the ability to remove the shading, given the remaining 300 sq ft of unshaded vertical glass.

Thanks for any help.

Installing something outside on the roof will be much darker and much more reflective than SB-341. Also, due to the angle of the roof line, no warranty.

SB-341 should not be installed on the outside. It does not have the proper UV filters to protect it from the sun.

About half of the sunrooms we have installed is with SB-341. The customer feedback has been very positive.

In my opinion, using an interior solar shade will only remove some of the heat on your face. Since it is inside the building, the heat is inside of the building. That is my :thumbdown

Installing something outside on the roof will be much darker and much more reflective than SB-341. Also, due to the angle of the roof line, no warranty.

SB-341 should not be installed on the outside. It does not have the proper UV filters to protect it from the sun.

About half of the sunrooms we have installed is with SB-341. The customer feedback has been very positive.

In my opinion, using an interior solar shade will only remove some of the heat on your face. Since it is inside the building, the heat is inside of the building. That is my  :thumbdown

[*]336850

Thanks Tintman. I wasn't talking about putting film on the exterior of the house, only on the sun room side of the interior windows between the living area and sun room. I was curious whether this circumstance might benefit from film on the sun room rather than living room side. Thanks for the input on SB-341. That's probably what we'll go with.

Guest tintaltd

You need to be sure that the refelctivity of the film will lead to greater heat gain to your sun room. You also need to be sure that - if you are installing the film for UV protection - that the inhibitors are in the film layers as well as the adhesive. I would always advise that the outer wall is the best to treat since you stop the heat at source.

THere are films from LLumar/CPFilms that can be used externally should you so require, that have a warrany - albeit they will need to be edge sealed.

Talk to your local CPFilms rep and they will be able to suggest a product from the VISTA range that will reduce heat, glare, and UV transmission. Get a product from the dual reflective range to enable vision at night.

In my opinion, using an interior solar shade will only remove some of the heat on your face. Since it is inside the building, the heat is inside of the building. That is my? :thumbdown

[*]336850

Thanks Tintman. I wasn't talking about putting film on the exterior of the house, only on the sun room side of the interior windows between the living area and sun room. I was curious whether this circumstance might benefit from film on the sun room rather than living room side. Thanks for the input on SB-341. That's probably what we'll go with.

[*]336888

Archived