Newbie question about window decals

Guest graphicgirlvi

Guest graphicgirlvi

java script:emoticon(':lol')

hi, I've been a graphic designer for a long time, done some vinyl signage work, but never a window tinter. I hope you guys can help me. java script:emoticon(':spit') I'm working on an ad campaign called "purple dots" for a non-profit group here in the us virgin islands and we had the idea to give out removable car magnets, and/or vinyl static cling window decals, for people to show that they supported the organization. basically I want to blanket the parking lots on the island with big purple dots (6 or 9 inch round) with little sayings on them. sort of like those yellow ribbon magnets that people put on their cars in support of the troops.

I want something removable without adhesive, because I'd imagine almost noone ever puts a bumper sticker on their car anymore. I know some people don't like to put the magnetic decals on their car because it might damage the paint or cause a mark -- or maybe they're driving a car made of bondo (like me). java script:emoticon(':DD') I am wondering if putting a 6 or 9 inch round vinyl decal in the window of a car would be a ticketable violation from the police. java script:emoticon(':DD') the vi fuzz are on a total tint takedown lately so they are looking at glass. I know there are also those "one-way" car window decals, and the car wraps that they do to nyc busses, is it better to use that perforated material? is that any more legal? I'm afraid the text won't read on the perffed material.

I searched the forum, didn't find anything about this. TIA for any insight or creative ideas you can offer!

Guest Al-tint

Being that I am in the snow, and you are on a beach, I can't comment on the legality of a 9" round sticker on a window. Check with your local police.

As for the material onto glass.

- Regular printed vinyl, put on scrape off.

- Static cling (no glue) is available, but they may not stay on long. You can put them on the inside and they work perfect on non tinted glass. (did I say that)

- Easy remove vinyl is available and will peel off when needed without glue left behind.

- Vision film is available, but very expensive and on a 9" round it won't give you the small print you want.

:spit

Guest graphicgirlvi
Being that I am in the snow, and you are on a beach, I can't comment on the legality of a 9" round sticker on a window. Check with your local police.

As for the material onto glass.

- Regular printed vinyl, put on scrape off.

- Static cling (no glue) is available, but they may not stay on long. You can put them on the inside and they work perfect on non tinted glass. (did I say that)

- Easy remove vinyl is available and will peel off when needed without glue left behind.

- Vision film is available, but very expensive and on a 9" round it won't give you the small print you want.

:spit

[*]338055

thanks so much for the information. I do plan to check with the police down here. Duh me, the legal issue is a totally local one... the island sun has rotted my brain!

a LOT of cars have tinted glass down here. I didn't think about the fact that the sticker would have to stick to the tinting material, not to glass, in many cases (not to mention it will make the sticker less visible if it's behind tint film). should I take it that you're saying the static cling sticker won't stick well to film-tinted glass?

On the other hand, if we use the easy remove vinyl, do you think that the adhesive is strong enough to pull off window tinting films when removed? I was trying to avoid adhesives because everything gets so incredibly sun-baked down here. stickers always seem to turn into marshmallow sandwiches.

Is there any other way to stick a temporary graphic on a car window or car body, that is easily applied by a layman and easily removable?

Guest Al-tint

The 9" circle SHOULD go on the OUTSIDE of the glass. If the vehicle has dark glass you will not see it on the inside.

Static Cling MAY blow off on the outside glass when you drive.

The easy remove stick on vinyl can be taken off by anyone up to about 18 months without any problems.

Guest tint rookie

I just scanned th threads. are you lookin for a flier alternative? you mentioned a whole parking lot full.

someone puts a vynil sticker on w/out my permission. id come unglued to the point of you paying for a detail.

you do static cling, they'll end up all over the parking lot, and a huge fine for littering and a clean up bill.

if its just on individuals w/permission.... check your local laws.

most cops dont know the law, but if its blocking too much vision, lack of common sense will get the driver nabbed every time.

If its a 9" vinyl sticker on the side windows behind the driver it should be fine. At least most states would allow it but you'd have to check your local laws. And yeah... I wouldn't just go putting it on everyones car unless you have permission.

Z - Thats hillarious :dunno

Archived