Peeeeeeeeeling!!

Guest Shady

I know some of you guys don't agree with putting anything on the front drop glass windows but any help would be greatly appretiated. I tinted a Honda CRX Coupe with 50% tried and trusted film. The front doors have no frame and the film rubs against the seal. This has caused it to peel and crease in the corner twice now on the drivers side. Once it was OK for two months and when the customer brought it back I tinted it again and she left it up for 48 hours. Within this 48 hours it has peeled and crunched up in the corner again. These cars have a removable roof and you can see from the rubbing on the seal's its as tight as a nun. (no offence intended). I haven't tinted for a while and Leo knows how much I miss Ivars. what could be advised in this situation or is it common sense to say this will happen time and time again? The customers a girl who is really fit and its embarassing to keep on saying sorry and re-tinting. :bingo

Shadey,

Honda Rubber seals on some cars are notorious for being sticky and causing the film to grip against the rubber as it goes up and down. A few years back we had a CRV where the front drop had been virtually pulled out because the film gripped the rubber seal on the way up.

How did we solve it? We used some rubber lubricant I ain't being dirty cause she's fit :lol

so moderators don't pull this one down.

If you file windows top edge - use a diamond file to ensure you have a nice acute chamfer and top edge is heated well and dried. Then get your rubber lubricant which you can buy from any auto shop and work it into the hood where it meets the glass.

We had this problem with an M3 convertible which squeaked when driven and our rubber lubricant did not stop it - we had a contact at our local BMW garage they apparently have this problem sometimes anyway. They had there own @#$% hot lubricant which sorted it straight away. :bingo reminds me I'll have to get some from them.

:lol

Heya Tintim! I came across those squeeky noises on the BMW M3 too. I used some dry silicon spray to sort it. I tried this on the Honda to no avail. Maybe something stronger from the main agent like you suggested. I do file but I'm confident thats not my problem. I'll apply more heat to specified areas too cheers beeline.

I said if it persists I'd give her her money back, but she said she wouldn't care if I took a chunk out the film where it catches. I certainly wouldnt want to take that option, so I will grease it up real nice instead!

Guest tint rookie

hand crank or power windows?

exactly which corner. front of glass top edge or bottom? you mentioned you file (good man) so ill assume the top edge.

if the butter aint workin. youve done how many redos? I wouldnt assume the blame was you any longer.

you mentioned to top came off. factory? or aftermarket? any ripple in the paint near pillar holding the windshield up. could be outa alignment. was the top ever replaced?

has the car ever been in a wreck or stolen? (frameless roll ups are easy to nab)

is the clearance way different on the passenger side?

just questions to ask the customer.

posible solution. door or windscrean outa alignment could be fixed if you had a big boy in the shop (like one in your avitar) put a lil weight down on the door, "realign it". (if you feel like doing body shop kinda work)

inspect how top latches down. does it shift more to one side if you opperate the latches seperately vs. both at the same time?

could loosen the mechanism up a lil in the door.

pull the pannel and do a lil analyzing while looking for tha areas of resistance.

all, way above and beyond the tinters resposiblity in my book.

I would find the problem but have the customer repair em.

but I wouldnt keep giving out freebies if the car is whats chewin the film up and the customer neglects to remedy the solution.

Archived