Remote Car Start Issue?

Guest RDSk

Hi - this is my first time posting, so hopefully you'll bear with me. We had a big snow storm today (that may/may not be relevant). When I turn the ignition, the car does not start (the radio, fan, directionals, etc work just fine). When I use the remote starter it also won't start. When I use the remote starter from inside the car, I can hear two little clicks, which is normally followed by the car actually starting - today it does not. What is interesting is that if I use the remote starter, listen for the 2 clicks, then use the key to turn the ignition, the car starts perfectly. BUT....to actually go somewhere, I need to put the car into drive or reverse....which requires stepping on the brake. When I step on the brake, the car shuts off. (The brake/car-shut off is a feature of the car starter to prevent theft) The car shouldn't shut off when the brake is pressed if the key is in the ignition. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob

Where and when did you have the remote starter installed? What kind of car? What brand of starter?

Just guessing, not knowing any of the above information, it sounds like the ignition switch is bad in your car.

If the ignition switch is not activating the ignition and/or starting wires properly, the remote-starter could be activating them for you, allowing you to start the car with the key.

If the key is in the ignition and in the on position, but the igntition switch is failing to work correctly, the remote unit 'patch' will fail when you hit the brake if no voltage is seen by those ignition wires through the ignition switch.

Archived