South facing windows DR film

Hey everyone! I have south facing windows that get direct sunlight into my main room. The windows are dual pane on a 2017 built house. I have had multiple installers recommend DR film. I am considering 3M DR15 or DR25. Heat and glare are the main issues. The tv is almost impossible to enjoy when the sun is shining through. The suns direct path passes the lower windows. I am considering all 8 windows DR25 or DR15 on lowers and DR25 on higher ones. I feel DR15 will do the best to block glare but it might darken the room too much, which is why I am thinking DR25 on uppers. I am located in Central TX, how common are window breaks, given that summers are 100+ for July-Aug? Thoughts? Thanks

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 11.37.17 AM.png

Correct; using 15 will darken, so will 25, just not as much.

Experiment before laying $$ down on film by watching TV with sunglasses, especially when the sun is bombarding those windows straight on. Does it make watching TV more comfortable? In other words, does it cut the glare to your satisfaction? Use old-fashion dark sunglasses, not some special ops type advertised on TV and don't use polarized.

Or, take a film sample and wrap it around your face, covering your eyes as faux glasses and watch TV in the worst of the sun shining through. Pick the sample that satisfies your comfort level.

If it satisfies your comfort level, then either of the two would suffice.

Also, compare pricing between LLumar Dr 15/25 and the 3M NV. They are said to be very close in appearance. I don't recall which  has the edge over the other in terms of total solar energy rejection.

If neither film works, you are facing the prospect of sun-blocking shades, blind or drapes; motorized of course.

Good  luck.

On 3/30/2024 at 8:54 AM, Tintguy1980 said:

Correct; using 15 will darken, so will 25, just not as much.

Experiment before laying $$ down on film by watching TV with sunglasses, especially when the sun is bombarding those windows straight on. Does it make watching TV more comfortable? In other words, does it cut the glare to your satisfaction? Use old-fashion dark sunglasses, not some special ops type advertised on TV and don't use polarized.

Or, take a film sample and wrap it around your face, covering your eyes as faux glasses and watch TV in the worst of the sun shining through. Pick the sample that satisfies your comfort level.

If it satisfies your comfort level, then either of the two would suffice.

Also, compare pricing between LLumar Dr 15/25 and the 3M NV. They are said to be very close in appearance. I don't recall which  has the edge over the other in terms of total solar energy rejection.

If neither film works, you are facing the prospect of sun-blocking shades, blind or drapes; motorized of course.

Good  luck.

The price between installers using Llumar and 3M is insignificant. I plan on using the installer with the best and most recent reviews. Watching TV with sunglasses is a huge improvement which is why I am tinting first then decide if blinds are needed. My neighbor has a similar layout and installed blackout blinds, so it is a good reference. 

On 3/30/2024 at 2:11 PM, Ryker said:

I suggest darker on the upper

Ha! I totally didn't even consider that route. The direct path of the sun passes through the bigger lower windows which is why thought darker on lowers. It shines directly in your face when sitting on the couch. Decisions decisions... My install is 4 weeks away. 

14 hours ago, OBXTodd said:

I'd go with the 15 if heat and glare are your concerns. Don't mix up tint % on the same wall of windows unless you're not a particular person. Two different shades of film looks silly imo.

Understood about going different %, I was concerned about that looking funny, which would drive me crazy. I like the 15% but on cloudy days it might make the room dreary. There are trade offs in everything. 

Also keep in mind the position of the sun throughout the year. Another reason two shades may not be best. If you have other windows the lighting may still be satisfactory.

If you are going with a reputable company they should have no issue putting up a mock sample on the windows. They may charge you to do so.