Need some advice please

Guest VOLTRON

Guest VOLTRON

Speaking of Toyota dealerships like I saw a post about earlier this week, I tinted a dealership last May with Silver 20 and now they are saying that they want the transoms darker. My question is will this be a problem for glass breakage? It is single pane and I am pretty sure it is annealed glass and not tempered. I was going to give them a bid to redo the transoms in a 5% mirror but that will be expensive and it will also be labor intensive, not that I am opposed to the R&R but I think they will frown at the price.

So, what do you guys think of putting another layer of say a 20 non reflective or darker, maybe even blackout. I thought about it and I dont think that the glass will absorb too much heat being that most of the heat is being reflected and not mush will hit the second layer.

So what do you guys think?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sunbuster
you think that would be dark enuff? I think they want close to completly dark, VERY minimal light transmission. Would blackout be a bad idea?

[*]358396

Whats up VO. Is this a newer building? If it is building code should require it be tempered. If not did you notice if it had the tempered stamp "bug". A good tool to have is the Merlin Lazer glass reader. It saved my butt on a dual pane / dual laminated job.

I have done crazy dark, and blackout to several single pane jobs. Many of them not annealed. No Problems. I would have them sign a waiver, that any existing warranty is void (which it is) and you are not liable for any damage to the film or the glass. This scares them a little, but they'll sign.

I wouldn't be worried! Of course it's not my A$# on the line. I am forwarding your contact info to a friend of mine who does alot of commercial flatglass in Dallas. He sells it, not installs.

Guest VOLTRON

this is an addition to an exsisting building. It is a sales office that was built onto the front of the building. I didnt look before to see if it was tempered glass, although I remember some of the lower ones having all that debris on it from when they bake the glass to temper it, but I dont remember if the top windows were the same or not. I am going up there to talk to them tommorrow and see what they want to do, I just wanted a little info on it and what are some possibilities.

Guest VOLTRON

climber I have already put R20 on the interior and they want it darker, so it would have to be an R&R and it will be twice as expensive to do that then the original install.

Guest VOLTRON

Cool, thanks sunbuster, and by the way if you have anything come up down there I have been looking for an excuse to go to Austin. If anything comes up that you need help with let me know.

Archived