Can someone fill me in Please???

Guest Stratusrtrida

If you don't have experience tinting, I agree with most here. Work for someone else for awhile first. You can go to the website for small business and do research on starting a business. (sba.gov).

Yeah, you can make a bunch of cash tinting, but you have to deal with economic changes, competition, advertising, overhead, etc.

If you parents want you, I suggest getting an education. Then, you can take a salaried job OR open a business, but you will have both choices for the rest of your life.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Stratusrtrida

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind words and ideas. You have all thrown me some pretty good scenerios. I have been thinking for days now on what I should do. School is def something I plan on finishing reguardless of what happens. I cannot be labled as a college drop out much longer. Its just something that really gets to me. I try to joke about it, but its depressing. Especially when my g/f who is 4 years younger than me is graduating in a few months. I can pretty much only take two classes at a time. But, Im getting through it. I should have my associates by xmass next year.

As far as tinting goes, I really like it. I see the potential in the amount of money that can be made. I have to also take a step back and look at the amount of overhead involved too. When I was about 18 I got a job at a car wash detailing cars. I really liked doing it and I used to sit there watching the cars comming off the convayer saying.. "there goes $8, there goes another $8" This was a HUGE car wash and they did detailing and oil changes as well. Someday my plan is to own one of the biggest car washes in the state and offer pretty much everything from aftermarket assesories to tint. Sometimes I have my head in the clouds too. I don't really think the corporate world is for me. Im not completely against it though. But, I think its something I could do for a few years to save up enough money to make my business happen.

All and all im a pretty happy and lucky guy. My parents are awesome. I have a great family and friends. I tend to think I have a good head on my shoulders which will some day lead me to where I want to be in life. I am really just looking for a direction in my life and its something I have been doing since I dropped out of college the first time back in 99'.

Thanks again to everyone who offered your insight. I don't mean to sound like a sad case or a puss bag. I have just had alot on my mind in the last week or so. Thanks for taking the time to listen....

Nick

Nothing Ventured....

Nothing Gained....

If you want to go into biz on your own, I would suggest, doing some research, writing a business plan, structure yourself properly and go do your own thing.

Do your homework and don't just jump in blindly, research and educate yourself on how to be a businessman and not just a tinter/ graphic installer/ detailer.

Just my :please on the subject.

Nothing Ventured....

Nothing Gained....

If you want to go into biz on your own, I would suggest, doing some research, writing a business plan, structure yourself properly and go do your own thing.

Do your homework and don't just jump in blindly, research and educate yourself on how to be a businessman and not just a tinter/ graphic installer/ detailer.

Just my  :rest on the subject.

[*]365157

:twocents

dont forget to use the local chamber of commerce, some will have a SBA office with them and the SBA can be a great help

Nothing Ventured....

Nothing Gained....

Just my? :wall on the subject.

[*]365157

:rest

dont forget to use the local chamber of commerce, some will have a SBA office with them and the SBA can be a great help

[*]365165

Good point, I used the S.C.O.R.E. Chapter to help me get started.

They gave me some great advice that kept me from making some costly mistakes. :twocents

Guest Stratusrtrida

yes, one of my teachers last semester is actaully involved with something like that based through our school. He told me when Im ready to get out there to go pay them a visit. The best part about it is that its free....

Guest ShadyKat

TintDesignz said it! I am 46 could have continued my education with my parents footing the bill but did not. So what did I do? Twenty years later finished my education paying for it myself. Do the education first. For one thing no one can take it away from you once you have it, it is yours forever. Learn about business get some experience, get a job tinting while you are in school, then when you are ready to start your own you will be armed to the teeth with the tools that you need to survive. Study hard and good luck. :twocents

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind words and ideas. You have all thrown me some pretty good scenerios. I have been thinking for days now on what I should do. School is def something I plan on finishing reguardless of what happens. I cannot be labled as a college drop out much longer. Its just something that really gets to me. I try to joke about it, but its depressing. Especially when my g/f who is 4 years younger than me is graduating in a few months. I can pretty much only take two classes at a time. But, Im getting through it. I should have my associates by xmass next year.

As far as tinting goes, I really like it. I see the potential in the amount of money that can be made. I  have to also take a step back and look at the amount of overhead involved too.  When I was about 18 I got a job at a car wash detailing cars. I really liked doing it and I used to sit there watching the cars comming off the convayer saying.. "there goes $8, there goes another $8" This was a HUGE car wash and they did detailing and oil changes as well. Someday my plan is to own one of the biggest car washes in the state and offer pretty much everything from aftermarket assesories to tint. Sometimes I have my head in the clouds too. I don't really think the corporate world is for me. Im not completely against it though. But, I think its something I could do for a few years to save up enough money to make my business happen.

All and all im a pretty happy and lucky guy. My parents are awesome. I have a great family and friends. I tend to think I have a good head on my shoulders which will some day lead me to where I want to be in life. I am really just looking for a direction in my life and its something I have been doing since I dropped out of college the first time back in 99'.

Thanks again to everyone who offered your insight. I don't mean to sound like a sad case or a puss bag. I have just had alot on my mind in the last week or so. Thanks for taking the time to listen....

Nick

[*]365155

good luck again dude, at least you thining things out :twocents

Guest MidcoastMW
I'm going to go out on a limb and sugest something totally different.

buy the house.  and start puting you $ into equity now.  make sure it has a garage atleast a double car,  finish school, and get a good paying job,  then as a part time prospect, offer detailing and graphics through your home garage, and tint for friends and family untill you get better, then go to a used dealership and try to get a few cars here and there, still mostly doing it at nights and weekends, when you start to get a better name arround town,  and more work then you can handle after hours, 

start cutting you time a the "normal" job and give more to your own.

after you are working more for your self then the "normal" job, go find a small shop and open the doors, devoting all you time to the new venture.

you already have a house and have been there for 1-2 years and have equity so if you need a loan for opening a new shop, you have it.

and you can be sure you want to be a tinter before you make the leap.  :twocents

just my thoughts and keep in mind I am a little on the odd side so.......

keep us informed.

[*]365053

Very well said tigerstripe.

I think this is your best bet.

Archived