That was kind of cool

Sitting at a stop light the other evening, and some ricer across the street just took off on green. Kinda of neat car, had no idea what the hell it was but alot of money was obviously spent on it (or wasted :duck )

Neat thing I thought, was as the car went flying through the intersection, the exhaust was throwing a fairly large continous blue flame out the tip. I've seen this on movies but thought it was computer alterted. What causes this as I have ZERO mechanical knowledge :beer

Guest Marco
post-11258-1151687286.jpgI don't think you can do this if your car is computer controlled and fuel injected. The damage to an engine could be hefty if you do it wrong or the car can't handle it. The exhuast needs a spark (a simple switch) to burn, unburned fuel from your engine. With a carburator this is easy but with cars that have egr's, catylic convertors, oygen sensors, and computer controlled emissions it's not recommended. You have to alter the fuel mixture, which cars today do automatically and would cause your car to stall or not start if you alter it's system. There are kits but they over ride the ecm and make your fuel mixture rich to burn from the exhuast, ok once in awhile but don't complain when sensors need replaced $$$ and your car would have to handle the rpms at 5000 as long as your burning fuel. As for blue flames, never seen it before, could be he's burning something else through his exhuast.

Guest Al-tint
could be he's burning something else through his exhuast.

:duck

They have kits out that you hook up to your exhaust and burn a gas and powdered chemical to make coloured flames. It has nothing to do with the engine power at all.

Guest Marco

I wonder if he was burning natural gas? That flame is blue :duck Gasoline burns yellow/orange

The picture was when the flames first started, they shot straight out at full rpm range.

I'll check around, I wanna know why it was blue too :beer walmart car show here I come!!

Guest willie
It was like those stupid cars on that show fast and furious, just not as big.

It wasn't anything like those flames in the pic.

I was just curious why his fart pipe was trying to poop out a smurf was all. :beer

see the poop thread :hmmm

could be he's burning something else through his exhuast.

:beer

They have kits out that you hook up to your exhaust and burn a gas and powdered chemical to make coloured flames. It has nothing to do with the engine power at all.

I'e seen them use a spark plug mounted at the tailpipe and ignite propane plumbed to a spray nozzle.

Archived