For those of you that have problems

Guest Marco

If someone sells the same film as you at less than half the price and there isn't an economic reason antitrust rules apply. It doesn't matter what else you do in your business but when it comes to the same product, severly underpricing is an anti trust violation.

In theory only. Good luck with your anti-trust suit; 100 to 1 odds that it will get laughed out of court.

Jimmies:

From the way you reply..I bet your the $99 guy.

Besides I'm not having problems enough to actually file a claim..in which you do not have to go to court, you send a letter or call the FTC and they take care of it.

For the people who really need this law, use it to your advantage, I don't see how it could not work.

What is a legitimate reason to charge $99 for a four door when everyone else is above $200?

I'm not from the States , so I won't talk about laws that I do not know, however I fail to see the difference between this quote above and going to get a quote from 3 different body shops for body work and paint job.

2 shops could quote you for example around $3000 for bodywork and paint and the third one quotes you $700 :lol

Materials roughly the same, but the higher priced shops might justify their price with different prepping , more experienced bondo guy rather than some young guy learning on your car, baking the paint on vs just letting it dry naturally.

Maaco ( I believe the chain is called) will charge FAR less than many other body shops for a paint job.

I fail to see the difference in the 2 senerios between body/paint shops and tinters in something like this :lol

I'm all ears for being educated on this if I'm seeing it wrong in my comparison :lol

There are too many variables in the autobody business to really compare prices. Body work, some use bondo some use sheet metal, paints are different, experience, labor charges, epa fees,. I'm sure I missed some but for window tint it's pretty cut and dry> Film, supply's and labor is all that's needed. I'm sure if a major film manufacturer lowered it's prices well below a competitor all hell would break loose.

Here would be my response to that....

My next ad:

Tint Jobs : $199.00

Bring in ANYTHING of value and get $100.00 Off!

Pocket lint! Shoe Strings! Bubble Gum! We Take it ALL!

It's our MOST insane sale of the YEAR!

I feel you are spinning your wheels Mr. Marco.... Just my 2 cents..

BTW - I am most definately NOT the 99 guy... But I was the large stereo shop guy until recently...

I'm not going to debate this topic. It is simply information to help tinters in which this board does, wether it has to do with you personally does not concern me and I could care less.

I have seen tinters complain over the years about shops charging $99 and yet no one has done anything about it. We all know why you can't charge prices like this, isn't anyone going to at least say why this is good?

Another thing to consider with the anti trust laws are unfair competition.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/index.php/U...aw:_an_overview

"Other practices that fall into the area of unfair competition include: false advertising, "bait and switch" selling tactics, unauthorized substitution of one brand of goods for another, use of confidential information by former employee to solicit customers, theft of trade secrets, breach of a restrictive covenant, trade libel, and false representation of products or services."

I knew a tinter who would put cheap tint into a name brand box and put it on customers cars, he's not in business anymore. This is the kind of business, I'm talking about using these laws against.

Good info, but how much is the lawyer gonna cost you, especially if you lose. I operate out of my garage right now, and I am far from the $99 dollar job, unless youre talking a couple of doors. Besides, I think allot of those shops are a bait and switch practice, and if not, their work probably sucks like the one in my town. These shops come and go. Do the best you can with good quality film and let the hacks come to their most certain death in the business. :lol6

Jimmies:

From the way you reply..I bet your the $99 guy.

Far from it (but thanks for the assumption), I just know how the law works. I may be new to the tinting business, but it's not my first (or only) business that I run.

What they're doing sucks, but it shouldn't affect you if you run your business properly. Most of the time these stereo shops use $|-|17 quality film, the installers leave 1/2" gaps on the roll-up edges, and they either don't one-piece the back glass or do a p1ss poor job of it. And good luck getting warranty work performed with them.

We all agree that you cannot do $99 tint jobs and stay in business, so why compete on price? Compete with quality and customer service and you shouldn't have trouble with these guys.

Archived