Late Model Corvette

pike_madcat

I havent been in the field long, but this is what I have learned when it comes to doing a backglass in a late model Corvette.

1. Use the M-Dizzles Soap technique.....I find this works best and helps keep areas that were shurnk from poping up and releasing from the glass..

2. Before I take it to the back glass for shrinking. I trim it on my board (computer cut) and leave 2-3 inchs extra all the way around it...This will help move stuff around and avoid shrinking to much in one area..I feel that it alse seems to add some relief to the tint as well...but thats just something maybe I am dreaming up...

3. Anchor your tint in the typicall H pattern...Normally I will fold a paper towl into small square and wet it and go ahead and achor the tint that way (as if you were shrinking it with powder).

4. If a area seems to not be shrinking..Just walk away from that area for a little bit, go shrink somewhere else..Then come back to it and try it again, you'll be suprised what will shrink out...

5. Tape is your friend...I use blue tape used for body work..but duct tape will work fine as well...Sometimes when shrinking the tint will not want to pay down and stay. So smooth it out with hand or hard card and then tape the edge of it to the glass once its all laid out. and just work you way over...

6. Once the entire glass is shrunk and your happy with the results...I like to leave it on there for a hour or so..or as long as you possibly can...This helps the tint conform to the glass..And while its sitting there I will from time to time go back over the entire glass with my heat gun and hard card to help make sure its a perfect fit...

7. Sometimes glue may be necessary for the matrix on some of these cars...Just smooth it out, without to much pressure and dont force all the glue out...Make sure it looks uniform...I like to keep a papaer towel in my other hand to catch the excess glue from getting onto the interior or anywhere else in the car.

8. Before sticking it see if the Corvette is a model where the plastic weather striping around the inside of the glass comes out...If so pull it out, this will help you in getting a cleaner install..Just make sure when your cleaning the glass, after each full squeege you wipe off the black border around the glass until it comes out clean...Then your ready to FrAnKy that thing!

Archived