doing a '08 BMW 5 series

Guest soundtweequor

Guest soundtweequor

I just booked my first 2008 BMW 550i. the kit is being supplied by the customer and he;s getting if from Modern Image whom I heard used the Xpel kits. I never done a car with bumper sensors on them, should I wrap right over them or do I need to cut them out?

Guest XPEL Costas

If it is an XPEL kit it will have the option to have or NOT to have PDC holes. He may or may not order the right thing...but anyway, a few things to note.

First off, the PDC WILL work with film over it (we've tested it...). :beer

Second off, if the guy got the right kit and it HAS PDC holes then take a piece of scrap that is larger than the hole and stick it over the hole while the kit is still on the backing paper. Install the kit making sure you line up the PDC holes correctly. When done, pull the covers that you stuck on there. The reason you are putting the covers over the holes is so that when you stretch the film to install it, the stretch does not elongate (make egg-shape) the PDC holes.

It is a pretty straightforward kit and a 4 star (5 being the hardest, 1 being the easiest) rating. Let me know if you have any other questions. :beer

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

Paul Costas

XPEL Team

pcostas@xpel.com

Guest soundtweequor

Thanks for the tip Paul! You've just confirmed what I've been hearing about the being able to lay right over the PDC holes. The the kit he's providing has no holes and it's going to be installed tomorrow so I let you guys know how it goes. I've also heard that there will be some condensation in the PDC holes, should I worry about that or will it eventually evaporate?

Guest XPEL Costas

On the dark car we tested the solution did work itself out but left a faint, light-colored ring. Had the solution been more alc, it might have not left the ring as my guess is that it was more soap solution at that point. As you lay it down you may want to blow the area with alc solution and then lay it down to help eliminate this. What color is the car?

Are you an XPEL dealer? On the dealer side of our website we have a TON of streaming videos that you can watch that will help you see techniques that can help.

Good luck with it! :rollin

Cheers,

Paul Costas

XPEL Team

Guest soundtweequor

So the kit was laid down and I struggled a little on the bumper but all in all it went fairly well. Wish I read this before I laid it down, I wanted to try the alch trick. Well now I koe. The car is black. I did get a little condensation so we left the car in the sun and it started to dry up. Could tell if it left a ring, owner picked the car up before we had a chance to see the end result. I had one guy mention to me that incase the customer comes back for the PDC, to hen cut the holes out.

Archived