camaro again!!!

b_faulk75

Ok, I just got done doing one, I have done maybe 7 of them total, late 90's egg shaped back glass with ST Carbon film. Some say they are easy, and for the most part they are, but I am having one problem and am wondering if anyone else has to deal with it and what they do. I usually do a dry shrink first and only shrink the top, then I do a wet check and stretch out the bottom and make my final cut. Then clean and install. But the problem I am have is when I install, the bottom has to be stretched to get it in place, and it usually wont stick at first and I have to let it dry a bit before it will stick, when I do finally get it to stick I end up with small pockets of air trapped under the fim where it was kinda dry when I stuck it. Any one else have this? If not how do you get it to stick without it pulling up on the first shot? I know I can prick them and push the air out but it still looks like poop and I don't like anything that looks bad leaving my shop. :lol2

When it rolls back on you take some rubbing alcohol and mist a little bit on the glue side of the film. Then quicly squeege it to the glass, and it will stick with no problems, and no air pockets.

You must squeege quick though, because if it sits too long the alcohol will soften up the glue, a little more then you like.

Also dont waste your time shrinking it on the outside, just hit those little fingers on the inside.

Guest CajunTinter
When it rolls back on you take some rubbing alcohol and mist a little bit on the glue side of the film. Then quicly squeege it to the glass, and it will stick with no problems, and no air pockets.

You must squeege quick though, because if it sits too long the alcohol will soften up the glue, a little more then you like.

Also dont waste your time shrinking it on the outside, just hit those little fingers on the inside.

:lol2:lol2

Thanks, it makes sense, but if I shrink it on the inside(tried that) can't seem to get the dot to stick for some reason. Maybe I'll try the alcohol on the dot side too. Do you use straight alcohol or diluted?
wetshrink the whole thing. you wont have that problem
Wetshrink how? You mean just the top section? I have tried wet shrinking and dry shrinking both, dry shrink seems to work ok, how would wet shrinking affect it? I know some tinters shrink the bubble in the center, does that help? I also know about the aftermarket back window, the first camaro I did had the aftermarket rear glass, it took me almost a half a roll of film to do that stupid thing. :lol2

I do find that just shrinking that "bubble" works. I just form three large fingers on the bottom 2/3's of the back glass and heat'um. I dont lay the film down with a glove or a card. Just heat the fingers. I can install them with hardly any shrinking. I just use a whale tail(I think that what it called). I just force it. If you dont want to force it and risk creasing it, shrink it out. I've only done it dry. There really not that bad once you do enough of um.

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

I used to try and dry shrink them and I'd have the problem that your having. Just wet the back glass alot, lay your film over it and anchor across the middle from one side of the car to the other. then shrink the top half real quick and then when you shrink the bottom half you gotta keep pushing the film so the fingers will go up and down, instead of side to side like they will be. I guess kinda stretching the film. I used to hate those cars, but now they are one of the easier and fastest.

Archived