question about removing grids on doors

so im about to do a job this up coming week with some security film and the owner said they were tdl french panes. well I got to the house and realized it was just the doors that have the grids on both sides that lock together which hold the glass (one solid piece) in place. the ones where you have to remove the "caps" to get to the screws. anyways, we had done some in the past at a house where we removed the inner grid and had someone stand on the outside so when the pressure was placed from squeegeeing the security film, the glass wouldnt fly out the back side. my question is, if I removed the inner grid, could I just get like a teflon style washer the same thickness to place on the inside and re install the screws so that way the outter grid was secured and no obstructions for the inside. then after applying the security film, remove the screws and teflon washers and re install the inner grid.

I hope someone understands what im trying to say :gasp and if so, do you think it will work?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Duct tape the outside grid to the door, top middle and bottom.

I think he's installing 7 mil window film...

I'm not sure I'd trust the tape to hold up under that kind of constant pressure....

If you absolutely don't want to take the whole winder out, then maybe a 1x2 in. piece of pine, use the outcoming pane as a template for the screws and anchor it on the vertical sides....

Maybe use the washer idea across the top and bottom...:dunno

You may need to get longer screws to do it either way.... :ninja

Lemme know how it turns out...

Archived