PPF Questions

Guest rcjello

Guest rcjello

I'll start by saying I'm a window tinter and have never done the ppf thing.

I have some questions before I buy any film and play with it.

1. will my window skills be enough to help me learn this or will I need to have some training

2. If I don't have a plotter can I buy precut kits per job. Does that cost way too much or can you hand cut it?

3. What markets does it generally work in and what advertising is effective. (I.e. big city, midwest, east coast, etc)

4. how much does it generally cost per job and how much is a bulk roll generally cost. I know it varies on the quality but a ballpark is fine.

5. Is it seasonal or do ppl buy it no matter what the temp it outside.

I guess that's all I'd like to know to start. Any help would be awesome! Thanks.

Guest qatinstaller

1. will my window skills be enough to help me learn this or will I need to have some training

Window tinting is certainly a good start but unlike shrinking ppf film needs stretched, I have found some tinters get it and some don't. Practice Practice Practice!

2. If I don't have a plotter can I buy precut kits per job. Does that cost way too much or can you hand cut it?

You can buy precut kits, costs a little more than bulking, but less than repainting from knife marks. Bulking is a skill that should be practiced on something you own before doing on something somebody else owns.

3. What markets does it generally work in and what advertising is effective. (I.e. big city, midwest, east coast, etc)

Anywhere that has cars is a good market. Cars can get rock chipped anywhere

4. how much does it generally cost per job and how much is a bulk roll generally cost. I know it varies on the quality but a ballpark is fine.

prices range from area to area you can PM me for general pricing

Our shop stays very busy avg 6 kits a day no matter what the weather

We are also a certified training facility. if you have any questions feel free to PM or Email me.

Guest Josh @ Proform
I'll start by saying I'm a window tinter and have never done the ppf thing.

I have some questions before I buy any film and play with it.

I guess that's all I'd like to know to start. Any help would be awesome! Thanks.

1. Like what has been said already, window tinting skills may help, but PPF and window film are about as similar as canola oil and motor oil.

2. You purchase kits from any number of vendors and it generally does cost more than plotting your own kits. The problem with pre-purchasing is almost every model has various options from aero bumpers to PDC and headlight washers and you will not know for sure what you need until the car is in front of you. Purchasing the wrong kit for can be costly and a real pain in the butt. Hand cutting is a skill every ppf installer should be fluent in. There is simply not a design for every vehicle out there and not every car is assembled exactly the same every time. Additionally, there will are always those customer who want to put the film on the most random objects. Just last we covered some ladies granite tables (we told her the risks but she was admit).

3. Anywhere people own and drive vehicles is a potential market. We have clients from Alaska to Nevada to the United Arab Emirates.

4. Cost is dependent on your costs and your local market. Film costs, coverages and operating costs vary widely, charges as much as your market can support.

5. I do not know of a market that is not seasonal, but anything product dependent on automotive sales and that could be considered non-vital defiantly seasonal. Dealerships accounts often help stabilize your business but they often pay less per install since they provide higher volume and are also seasonal.

What ever you choose to do, keep your quality and price as high possible.

Archived