It's finally happening!!!

Well it seems that after three pretty consecutive good years in business without a whole lot of competition, things are changing. Within the last 2 weeks we have had one existing business start tinting and another new shop open up, and a little while ago I hear that another shop is in the works for my area. I am not to worried as I have an excellent reputation and steady clientele. But most of these places seem to have money coming out of there ass and set up fancy shops with big advertizing dollars, by a plotter and go at it, putting out subpar work at best. Also none of these shops are tinter owned and operated like mine. I take great pride in my work, focus on quality, use good film, and have more than fair prices, so I hope my shop will be able to ride out the storm of idiots looking to cash in on an EASY buck as they think it will be. I have never really done much in the way of advertizing, I pretty much stay busy year around by word of mouth, is it time to step it up a bit?? I mean I don't want to sound desperate and advertize just because the other guys are doing it but would I be foolish not to advertize? My shop is not in the greatest location either, I mean it's ok just not my ideal spot I guess, but the rent is good and the shop works perfect for what I do. I guess I am just venting and looking for some input, My phones are ringing I am booked up thru next week and I even had to turn one away today because I was to busy. I have always worked by myself or with one helper, whom I trust because I really did not want to train my competition, but guess what now the other places are training them, with a 3 day class and a plotter, lol. There will probably be a surplus of poorly trained tinters in my area that may be looking for jobs when this is all said and done. I say good luck boys and girls cause tintin ain't easy. That's my rant :rollin

Guest clint4883

Ill tell you this imo its all about reputation. You have been there for awhile and do good work then you don't have anything to worry about. Just keep doing what you do. don't let them influse you in to something just because they have big bucks for advertising. you have your reputation and that is what is most important. I am kinda in a situation myself but on the other end. I lived in louisiana for all life. worked from a guy that had a great reputation there and we stayed busy everyone knew me there. I got a job at the fire dept. in texas and moved here tinted windows on the side. one day a shop owner approached me and ask me to come to work for him after I redid a vette that he tried to tint. worked for him for a week and he hired another guy so that cut out alot of my money since there was then 3 of us. I didn't like the way they operated any way. ther way was let the crap go and if they come back then we will fix it. that was giving me a bad reputation so I told him it wasn't working out so I put in my 2 weeks and quit. I went and found a shop signed a lease and set up shop. now I don't know how to get more custy to come to me. I went to a few of the car lots and they all say well we are using the guy I worked for. I don't know how to get them to give me a shot and not bad mouth the other guys. I don't like to talk bad about any ones work, I would rather just sell myself, but these guys do put out bad work. lots of trash and creases in the backglasses. what would you guys suggest I do to get business going more. I have only been open about a month so I know it will take time. just impatient I guess.

Thanks for the replies, it does seem that reputation is where it's at. As for getting more customers from an already established area, all I can think of is to offer something the other guys don't, including quality. IDK what that might be, but make yourself stand out from the crowd, oh and dealerships are NOT loyal at all, all they care about is price most of the time.

Guest rubberbizkitt

It doesn't take long for someone to want a piece of the pie. This happens every where and trust me, if their shady in their work they don't last.

The thing is, you have been around and they haven't. Like you said, word of mouth.

One can advertise as much as they like, but if they can not produce what you say they can, then you know what happens. Over time, you will get all the R/R jobs. Sure its a pain in the azz to redue some one elses work, but when they leave with a better job then they originally had. That speaks volume.

If you are or were the only tint shop around, where are these new shops getting their tinters from?

This is a trade, as we all know, that is not learned over night. Its all comes down to you having it in you to tint and to be proud of your work.

Sure you can take a crash course, but it all comes down to putting in your time and wasting alot of material.

Waisted material = no profit. That is why I am a rocket scientist.

Your Experience will lead your way through this.

Cheers.

B.......

General - Here's my take on it...

While the other folks are getting started is NOT the time for you to 'battle' their advertising efforts UNLESS you have deeper pockets than the others. Let them use their resources attracting a few customers... Then when their initial 'offering' starts to taper off is when you start your promotion.... Make sure you stress your experience, quality, and expertise.

What I would be doing IMMEDIATELY is (believe it or not) spending some time doing what I call a 'meet and greet'. Go meet the other business owners,installers,sales folks, and talk about their offerings. Express your concerns about the difficulty of some vehicles.... Offer to (for a fee of course) help them if they get into a bind.

You get to keep your finger on the 'pulse' of tinting around you. You begin establishing a business relationship. If their efforts fail you will probably be first on their call list for a dirt cheap deal on their supplies... AND you then get the chance to allow them to continue servicing their customers by selling your tinting rather than turn away business... :rollin

Clinton - Just be persistant

Guest mosolarpro

Word of mouth is the best advertisement , but some people may not even know you are out there. I say advertise, do what you can afford and find what form works for you and stick with it. If it pays for itself great, that happy person will tell another and spread your refearals even more.

General - Here's my take on it...

While the other folks are getting started is NOT the time for you to 'battle' their advertising efforts UNLESS you have deeper pockets than the others. Let them use their resources attracting a few customers... Then when their initial 'offering' starts to taper off is when you start your promotion.... Make sure you stress your experience, quality, and expertise.

What I would be doing IMMEDIATELY is (believe it or not) spending some time doing what I call a 'meet and greet'. Go meet the other business owners,installers,sales folks, and talk about their offerings. Express your concerns about the difficulty of some vehicles.... Offer to (for a fee of course) help them if they get into a bind.

You get to keep your finger on the 'pulse' of tinting around you. You begin establishing a business relationship. If their efforts fail you will probably be first on their call list for a dirt cheap deal on their supplies... AND you then get the chance to allow them to continue servicing their customers by selling your tinting rather than turn away business... :dunno

Clinton - Just be persistant

I know exactly what you are saying about keeping your finger on the pulse, but I have a hard time aproaching the competition, especially certain ones, what I am hoping is that I will get a call, to say hey can you help us out, (this has happened before). At this point though, I don't know if I would be interested in helping them out, I guess I can for a LARGE FEEEEE!!!!!

Word of mouth is the best advertisement , but some people may not even know you are out there. I say advertise, do what you can afford and find what form works for you and stick with it. If it pays for itself great, that happy person will tell another and spread your refearals even more.
After 3 years in business in my current location and thousands of vehicles tinted, I still get people coming in and saying I never even knew you were here until soandso told me. I plan to do some advertizing, but I will soak up the free advertizing I am getting from the comp right now, then launch a counter attack in the near future as the peak season starts to come in...

Thanks again for the replies, good stuff. :rollin

Archived