flatglass installers

The main panes were about 35 sq.ft. each, all sealed units 1/4" daul tempered. Well its been about a year since we installed a 50% daul reflective on these windows. All of a sudden this winter 2 thermal breaks. Well these windows are not cheap about $1000 ea. & the manu. only covers up to $500 per unit. What do you do?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be pre-existing knicks insinde the frame. What kind of frame system is it in? Investigate the area. Is there road work, construction, landscaping, etc.? Film is the usual scapegoat but I've seen a few situations where other factors are to blame. For example a window I did cracked and after some detective work I found where screws had been drilled threw the frame and knicked the glass when they boarded up for a hurricane. Be sure though if you redo it to put a disclaimer on it! :twocents

Tempered? No way, must be NSI. Did they go at the same time? What did the break look like?

One after another 2 weeks apart. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the info. & recommendations. Let me ask would you pay up & over what the manu. covers or leave it up to the customer :twocents

thermalcrackinside2.jpg

thermalcrackinside.jpg

inside.jpg

Guest vclimber

The other problem is that thermal stress fractures never originate near the corners so the high point has to be the origin and it does not look like it projects 1-2" at 90 degrees from the glass edge...

My guess is annealed glass with a clamshell. :twocents

Archived